Re: I pee, therefore I am

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
      Regard for the system rather than its specific parts is a philosophical perspective, I think. A philosophical quandary might come into play while determining how to medically treat one part if the cure endangers the whole system. Then calculated risks come into play, but I think one's philosophical perspective helps make the decision.

      > Study the kidney , It is a dual organ responsible for excretion. The tissue itself is very complex with anatomical structures that rival the brain or reproductive system.Dead kidneys = equil dead brain. Dead brain = dead kidneys. An animal has system needs and all must function, any significant failure of the soma complex and the organism fails. So as a narrow interest thinker like Decartes tries to accept his perspective of life I use my more complex view of life to modify his simplistic rules. If he quit peeing he could think all the hell he wanted, his urine would dround him in a toxic imbalance much more deadly than any philosophical quandry. Bill

    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
        It might rival the brain [which I doubt], but the kidney doesn't think.

        I am Jack's failing kidney.
        I kill Jack.

        eduardathome

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
          "System" is also an engineering perspective. You can't design an airplane
          that is heavier than the withstand capability of runway on which it is to
          land.

          eduardathome

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2013
            Who designs an ecosystem?

            > "System" is also an engineering perspective. You can't design an airplane
            > that is heavier than the withstand capability of runway on which it is to
            > land.
            >
            > eduardathome

          • William
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 5, 2013

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 5, 2013
                Depends upon what you mean by an ecosystem. If you mean a system to get rid
                of waste in an ecological appropriate fashion ... instead of throwing stuff
                into the nearest river ... it would likely be some engineering firm.

                Did you know that Dubai, with all its neat towers and expensive residences
                on sculptured islands, has no internal sewage system?? Everything has to
                put in holding tanks and then trucked to some treatment plant south of the
                city.

                In a way, at least this is better than Venice when most of the stuff goes
                into the canals with hope that it will be taken out by the tides.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 5, 2013
                  Yes, my point exactly, and big brains have yet to improve on it, only recklessly exploit it.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 5, 2013
                    I seriously doubt that the functioning of the kidney can rival that of the
                    brain. Yes a dead kidney leads to a dead brain, but then so will a scratch
                    on your finger if it is infected and left untreated.

                    eduardathome