So get tough and view yourself as what you are

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
      I am not just a brain providing my own input. If I create and control my own reality, if my reality is nothing more than a self-perpetuating hallucination, then nihilism is as appropriate a response as ethical atheism or any other perspective. I am inextricably interconnected with other solipsistic hallucinations, but at some point I presume there is "external" input. The frontier of "other" remains a persistent, sometimes hostile and bewildering territory. Even a cursory examination of the obvious ways we are interrelated with one another reveals a structure of physical and intellectual entwinement which is undeniable. We can argue about degrees of entanglement and whether the brain is self-directing, but these are ideas. Ultimately I am an idea, which is as real as it gets.

      Mary
    • eduardathome
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2013
        I would suggest that you ARE your brain. And your brain IS you. All of your
        characteristics and behaviours are learned by your brain over time and
        it/you react accordingly. If you are an idea ... it is an idea that is
        created [learned] and stored in your brain.

        I have a lot of faults. Some big ones which were learned as a child. I
        can't get rid of them without knowing how they are produced. It is not
        sufficient to say that I have this or that behaviour and would do better if
        I tried to improve on them. That's very vague. Its much better if I
        recognize that I am running particular mental scripts and can deal with them
        on that basis. My efforts can be directed to modifying scripts or creating
        new replacement scripts. Some I have gotten rid of, but it takes an effort.
        It's not that easy to rewrite a script.

        eduardathome

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2013
          I think it's immensely helpful if one uses the term 'mental scripts' rather than 'bad habits,' and recognizes the brain has a quality of plasticity which affords some personal control. So much of thought is automatic and without any cognitive awareness, which is useful for some functions but detrimental for others. Bohm wanted us to face 'sustained incoherence' for which plasticity offers hope. Sustained incoherence is simply conflicting mental scripts.

          > I would suggest that you ARE your brain. And your brain IS you. All of your
          > characteristics and behaviours are learned by your brain over time and
          > it/you react accordingly. If you are an idea ... it is an idea that is
          > created [learned] and stored in your brain.
          >
          > I have a lot of faults. Some big ones which were learned as a child. I
          > can't get rid of them without knowing how they are produced. It is not
          > sufficient to say that I have this or that behaviour and would do better if
          > I tried to improve on them. That's very vague. Its much better if I
          > recognize that I am running particular mental scripts and can deal with them
          > on that basis. My efforts can be directed to modifying scripts or creating
          > new replacement scripts. Some I have gotten rid of, but it takes an effort.
          > It's not that easy to rewrite a script.
          >
          > eduardathome

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2013
            'sustained incoherence'

            Tyler Durden: Fuck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe
            patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let...
            lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

            For some reason, I'm into "Fight Club" tonight. Wonderful movie.

            eduardathome