Re: Thoughts and the Brain?

  • William
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 30, 2012

      > Consciousness is just brain work. Subconscious activity is just the brain
      > again. But then we don't want to accept the fact any more we can accept
      > that we live in an uncaring universe. We want the mental comfort of
      > thinking that we are of some importance to someone or something. We want
      > the mental comfort that we are more than just what we are. That's why we
      > invent the unconscious and religions and gods ... and mystics. It makes
      > life more interesting than it otherwise would be. I think that without
      > mystics we would feel lost in some existential reality. We would have to
      > face up to the awareness that we are merely another species that has evolved
      > on miniscule plant in an unremarkable galaxy floating in the middle nowhere.
      >
      > Keep up the good work.
      >
      > eduardathome
      > Eduard, that is the cold reality of mankind. This is slow evolution toward an understanding of our futility in face of the vastness we inhabit. I am trying to remember what set me on a general quest to make things better. The Nam was in full slaughter and the student body president at college would not back away from protests and the Archbishop had him expelled. That student is now Attourney General of this state.I saw a young guy with a lot of guts lay it all on the line . It changed me and I wanted to take the hard road and try to make some dent in the mass imperfections in middle sixties.I knew science was the key so I started doubling up on core science subjects and was rewarded to find out how Organic Chemistry interfaced with comparative anatomy just as physics fills out biologic theories in ecology. I realised I had been given a jewel and now what to do with such a prise. A fellow student explained to me I would have the requisite courses for Dental School and after a session with the head of The Biology dept he advised me to go to dental school and said he would support me. He did and I was accepted after three years in undergrad.
      Shit, Shave,Shower and Study was our motto in those unbelieveable days of endless study. I might go back to that regimen but with the caveat that all areas of study are voluntary with no grades assigned. Oh, the student who got expelled, who started all this he was accepted at Harvard and finished his diploma far from the Archbishop of Dubuque. It all imprinted me and like Mary points out sent me places I had no concept of or immediate desire to visit.
      I have just heard Hillary is in trouble, blood clots after her concussion . The quintessient work hard, play hard person has to dial down has to realise her human fraility. If you want to live you have to change. Bill

    • eduardathome
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 15, 2013
        My only point is that the idea of the apple does not "reside" within the
        apple, as you suggested.