Re: [existlist] Re: Working philosophy

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2012
      Mary,

      But doesn't everyone decide their own truth?? Are you suggesting that
      people in general do not decide their truth?? For example, you are making a
      statement in your email below. I would presume that you think it is true.
      So it is you who is doing the deciding. If not, then what other person or
      thing made that decision for you??

      I don't know if my position is "postmodern". If one must use labels, my
      position is more in the way of "positivism", although I am not sure of that
      either.

      eduardathome

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2012

> [...]
        > make interpretations. That is all it does. A neuron obtains an input from
        > this neuron and another from that neuron and spits out a conclusion to
        > another neuron that is the thought product. The thing about the brain is
        > that it does not need a "right" answer, but only an answer. If it cannot
        > produce an answer that reflects reality [who is to say what is reality?] it
        > will create its own answer which are our fantasies. That is the reason why
        > we have magic and miracles. They are conclusions/answers that the brain
        > makes up in order to have an answer. I would go so far as to say that
        > people will die [their brain causes them to die] because of the lack of an
        > acceptable answer.
        >
        > Another corollary is the brain sometimes doesn't care what the inputs are
        > ... whether they are true or not. The process is known as illogical
        > thinking, but in the end it IS thinking. Not only can the brain make up its
        > own answers, but it may not question the validity of the inputs that lead to
        > an output. Again, that is said to be illogical thinking, but that is the
        > way we often think. A good example is the 2nd amendment which people think
        > gives the individual the right to have a weapon, whereas it is hugely in
        > black and white at the start of the amendment that it applies to state
        > militias. If an input is not to our desires, the brain will simply ignore
        > it.
        >
        > I remember when I was a kid, my father was selecting a painter for the
        > house. This guy comes over and shows my father a brick with one side
        > painted white. He taps on the brick and says ... "Look at this, the paint
        > is so good it is as hard as a rock when dried". I still kick myself for not
        > interjecting ... "of course it is as hard as a rock; it's painted on a rock,
        > you twit". But then my bad neural script for reacting to authority kept me
        > silent.
        >
        > What is amazing is that there is a lot of resistance to the principles of
        > Nooism. People just don't want to accept that it is their brains that are
        > doing the thinking.
        >
        > eduardathome
        > Eduard, I use a shovel it is my job and can take hours of physical exercise. That is retiree brain at work. I had forgotten Nooism as you originated it from Chardin. Linking Nooism with the internet is more recent and I agree it is connecting us in remarkable ways. I have lost my fear of doing business on the net. Social Security, medicare and the census are recent groups I have worked with to a good conclusion. The built in security systems are clever and work. I am presently using a lap top networked with a cable provider. Soon I will begin installing my office computer in the network. It will be liberated on friday. I like Dell and the new computer will make three units in my home. I have not gone to the small units and do not plan to get a tablet.
        I like the way you have advanced Nooism and look forward to learning of further advances. It is the brain doing the thinking and it is just an organ not a mystical being or a spirtual entity. The concept of brains networking on the net opens areas for growth that might bring on a better species envisioned by Dick.