Nooism

  • eduardathome
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2012
      How do you clear your driveway, Bill?? I have a 14hp blower with a 28" cut.
      Its needed as my driveway is something like 80ft by 20ft. We had another
      5cm today.

      "Nooism" follows on Teilhard de Chardin's "Noosphere". It is all about the
      mind/brain. The word "nous" or "noos" means "mind" in Greek. Chardin was
      looking towards the global mind which we are achieving with the internet.
      Consider for a moment that Psy's Gangnam Style has now been viewed almost
      1,080,000,000 times.

      Nooism is primarily directed to the individual. It basically says that all
      we think, do, behave, whatever is of the brain ... it's your neural
      scripts/connections. It's only a tool and not a full blown philosophy or as
      some have suggested .. a religion. It just states the obvious and gets past
      all this transcendental stuff. There is no magic in the world or miracles,
      just our interpretations. Our brain workings.

      You can go to corollary subjects such as that the human brain is designed to
      make interpretations. That is all it does. A neuron obtains an input from
      this neuron and another from that neuron and spits out a conclusion to
      another neuron that is the thought product. The thing about the brain is
      that it does not need a "right" answer, but only an answer. If it cannot
      produce an answer that reflects reality [who is to say what is reality?] it
      will create its own answer which are our fantasies. That is the reason why
      we have magic and miracles. They are conclusions/answers that the brain
      makes up in order to have an answer. I would go so far as to say that
      people will die [their brain causes them to die] because of the lack of an
      acceptable answer.

      Another corollary is the brain sometimes doesn't care what the inputs are
      ... whether they are true or not. The process is known as illogical
      thinking, but in the end it IS thinking. Not only can the brain make up its
      own answers, but it may not question the validity of the inputs that lead to
      an output. Again, that is said to be illogical thinking, but that is the
      way we often think. A good example is the 2nd amendment which people think
      gives the individual the right to have a weapon, whereas it is hugely in
      black and white at the start of the amendment that it applies to state
      militias. If an input is not to our desires, the brain will simply ignore
      it.

      I remember when I was a kid, my father was selecting a painter for the
      house. This guy comes over and shows my father a brick with one side
      painted white. He taps on the brick and says ... "Look at this, the paint
      is so good it is as hard as a rock when dried". I still kick myself for not
      interjecting ... "of course it is as hard as a rock; it's painted on a rock,
      you twit". But then my bad neural script for reacting to authority kept me
      silent.

      What is amazing is that there is a lot of resistance to the principles of
      Nooism. People just don't want to accept that it is their brains that are
      doing the thinking.

      eduardathome

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2012
        Mary,

        But doesn't everyone decide their own truth?? Are you suggesting that
        people in general do not decide their truth?? For example, you are making a
        statement in your email below. I would presume that you think it is true.
        So it is you who is doing the deciding. If not, then what other person or
        thing made that decision for you??

        I don't know if my position is "postmodern". If one must use labels, my
        position is more in the way of "positivism", although I am not sure of that
        either.

        eduardathome

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2012

> [...]
          > doing the thinking.
          >
          > eduardathome
          > Eduard, I use a shovel it is my job and can take hours of physical exercise. That is retiree brain at work. I had forgotten Nooism as you originated it from Chardin. Linking Nooism with the internet is more recent and I agree it is connecting us in remarkable ways. I have lost my fear of doing business on the net. Social Security, medicare and the census are recent groups I have worked with to a good conclusion. The built in security systems are clever and work. I am presently using a lap top networked with a cable provider. Soon I will begin installing my office computer in the network. It will be liberated on friday. I like Dell and the new computer will make three units in my home. I have not gone to the small units and do not plan to get a tablet.
          I like the way you have advanced Nooism and look forward to learning of further advances. It is the brain doing the thinking and it is just an organ not a mystical being or a spirtual entity. The concept of brains networking on the net opens areas for growth that might bring on a better species envisioned by Dick.