Re: Working philosophy

  • William
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2012

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2012
        Bill,

        I don't think the postmodern label applies to my thought. I regret that existentialism is associated with postmodernism. An ethical atheism or even some nihilistic association are better fits in my opinion. eduard seems more postmodern as he thinks everyone decides their own truth. I say truth is a process rather than a result but that all objects we perceive, including other subjects, are real appearances, hence an objective reality. Truth and reality are different categories. Anyway . . . have fun outdoors. It's the only way to enjoy winter.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 29, 2012

          > Bill,
          >
          > I don't think the postmodern label applies to my thought. I regret that existentialism is associated with postmodernism. An ethical atheism or even some nihilistic association are better fits in my opinion. eduard seems more postmodern as he thinks everyone decides their own truth. I say truth is a process rather than a result but that all objects we perceive, including other subjects, are real appearances, hence an objective reality. Truth and reality are different categories. Anyway . . . have fun outdoors. It's the only way to enjoy winter.
          >
          > Mary
          > Mary, I like ethical atheism and that does seem to fit you. I do not read much nihilism in your writing, I think you avoid nihilism since you have lived through so many hard things.
          I do not understand postmodernism and really do not know if it exists. I do not go into deconstruction and am really put off by political correctness. Those are the things I associate with post modernism . I do know the early existentialists feared chaos would come from their attempts to bury morality. I do not think that happned but the post modernists with their correctness cast a new morality on the scene and I certainly do not accuse you of that. Bill

          > > I like Eduards idea that a machine may not be ideal for a task but if it works use it as long as it lasts. The post modernist ,deconstructionist ideas just do not work. I have never tried to use them as they make you try to build on vapors.
          > > I consider modernism to be empirical at its base. It comes out of sense knowledge not out of abstract thinking. It is grounded in the reality of sense knowledge and that knowledges adherance to the real world.
          > > That Eduard has a philosophy that has served him from teen age to retirement seems a good operation for him. I can say the same for mine as I have been a modernist for nearly fifty years.
          > > Now Mary has been an existentialist and an artist and a postmodernist. I think she still exhibits post modernist ideas and for her they work. Who am I to try to inhibit her freedom to exist as she wishes. Certainly post modernism runs parallel to modernism and cross referencing between the ideas is interesting and often constructive.
          > > Dick`s mystacism is too big a stretch for me but much of his writing outside the mystical is very empirical and I enjoy reading his ideas on life and history.With hard drives of written material he has paid his dues in the thinking business.
          > > Eduards Nooism just escaped me. I thought he might come back to it and I wonder if he can explain it again. Is it still a part of his operating philosophy? I have come to the realisation I have served my last dental patient. I must say I feel a bit lost. The final patient was a goalie who I played hockey with more than forty years ago. I could not stand to hang around after he left and I just left without much fanfare. The staff just kept crying whenever they looked at me and there just didnt seem much to be said. There are many ends to be tied up but for the time being I need to forget about the office that no longer is operating. Right now I will go shovel some snow and get physical and avoid any more thinking about it.
          > > Talking about modernism seems a safe persuit, dealing with the list people is usually rewarding. I will find out how my long used philosophy deals with this life change. It is only two inches of snow but it should fill in an hour. The rest of my life needs to be planned. I`ll start after the drive is cleared. Bill

        • eduardathome
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 29, 2012
            How do you clear your driveway, Bill?? I have a 14hp blower with a 28" cut.
            Its needed as my driveway is something like 80ft by 20ft. We had another
            5cm today.

            "Nooism" follows on Teilhard de Chardin's "Noosphere". It is all about the
            mind/brain. The word "nous" or "noos" means "mind" in Greek. Chardin was
            looking towards the global mind which we are achieving with the internet.
            Consider for a moment that Psy's Gangnam Style has now been viewed almost
            1,080,000,000 times.

            Nooism is primarily directed to the individual. It basically says that all
            we think, do, behave, whatever is of the brain ... it's your neural
            scripts/connections. It's only a tool and not a full blown philosophy or as
            some have suggested .. a religion. It just states the obvious and gets past
            all this transcendental stuff. There is no magic in the world or miracles,
            just our interpretations. Our brain workings.

            You can go to corollary subjects such as that the human brain is designed to
            make interpretations. That is all it does. A neuron obtains an input from
            this neuron and another from that neuron and spits out a conclusion to
            another neuron that is the thought product. The thing about the brain is
            that it does not need a "right" answer, but only an answer. If it cannot
            produce an answer that reflects reality [who is to say what is reality?] it
            will create its own answer which are our fantasies. That is the reason why
            we have magic and miracles. They are conclusions/answers that the brain
            makes up in order to have an answer. I would go so far as to say that
            people will die [their brain causes them to die] because of the lack of an
            acceptable answer.

            Another corollary is the brain sometimes doesn't care what the inputs are
            ... whether they are true or not. The process is known as illogical
            thinking, but in the end it IS thinking. Not only can the brain make up its
            own answers, but it may not question the validity of the inputs that lead to
            an output. Again, that is said to be illogical thinking, but that is the
            way we often think. A good example is the 2nd amendment which people think
            gives the individual the right to have a weapon, whereas it is hugely in
            black and white at the start of the amendment that it applies to state
            militias. If an input is not to our desires, the brain will simply ignore
            it.

            I remember when I was a kid, my father was selecting a painter for the
            house. This guy comes over and shows my father a brick with one side
            painted white. He taps on the brick and says ... "Look at this, the paint
            is so good it is as hard as a rock when dried". I still kick myself for not
            interjecting ... "of course it is as hard as a rock; it's painted on a rock,
            you twit". But then my bad neural script for reacting to authority kept me
            silent.

            What is amazing is that there is a lot of resistance to the principles of
            Nooism. People just don't want to accept that it is their brains that are
            doing the thinking.

            eduardathome

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 29, 2012
              Mary,

              But doesn't everyone decide their own truth?? Are you suggesting that
              people in general do not decide their truth?? For example, you are making a
              statement in your email below. I would presume that you think it is true.
              So it is you who is doing the deciding. If not, then what other person or
              thing made that decision for you??

              I don't know if my position is "postmodern". If one must use labels, my
              position is more in the way of "positivism", although I am not sure of that
              either.

              eduardathome

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2012

> [...]
                > doing the thinking.
                >
                > eduardathome
                > Eduard, I use a shovel it is my job and can take hours of physical exercise. That is retiree brain at work. I had forgotten Nooism as you originated it from Chardin. Linking Nooism with the internet is more recent and I agree it is connecting us in remarkable ways. I have lost my fear of doing business on the net. Social Security, medicare and the census are recent groups I have worked with to a good conclusion. The built in security systems are clever and work. I am presently using a lap top networked with a cable provider. Soon I will begin installing my office computer in the network. It will be liberated on friday. I like Dell and the new computer will make three units in my home. I have not gone to the small units and do not plan to get a tablet.
                I like the way you have advanced Nooism and look forward to learning of further advances. It is the brain doing the thinking and it is just an organ not a mystical being or a spirtual entity. The concept of brains networking on the net opens areas for growth that might bring on a better species envisioned by Dick.