Re: Whoops

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 13, 2012
      Bill,

      I recently found this information about the NEO Shield Project. It's the best resource I've found so far. Like death, there are some possibilities for prevention. Part of the pleasure in life in learning how to preserve it. Of course eventually death happens. I think I like the NEO hunters much better than actuaries :)

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 13, 2012
        Here's the link I meant to include.

        http://www.neoshield.net/en/the-neoshield-project/description.htm

        > Bill,
        >
        > I recently found this information about the NEO Shield Project. It's the best resource I've found so far. Like death, there are some possibilities for prevention. Part of the pleasure in life in learning how to preserve it. Of course eventually death happens. I think I like the NEO hunters much better than actuaries :)
        >
        > Mary

        > > It seems a merteor just missed earth and we did not see it until two days before the near miss. It was about the sixe of a school bus . So it is still wild out there and saftey is an illusion. This would not have been an extinction causing strike but it would have dug a big hole and if it hit a populated area there would have been a lot of death.

      • William
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 13, 2012

          > Here's the link I meant to include.
          >
          > http://www.neoshield.net/en/the-neoshield-project/description.htm
          >
          > Mary
          > Mary, It looks like there is little being done as the action seems at a planning phase. I have heard the methods being considered and our technology is getting better but as to the political will to mount a system and pay for it. Space is hard to sell until some castrophy forces change.
          Missing a big asteroid could be an extinction event but I doubt nothing will be funded until the threat is proved. Thanks for the link as it was interesting to see what is being done. I cannot say it makes me feel any more safe. The Europeans seem more interested and they have not blown up the world yet with the CERN experiments. Thanks,Bill