Re: London Bombs Website

  • William
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2012
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Dick." <somerset_2@...> wrote:

      > London Bombs Website
      >
      > A Website which only went up today.
      >
      > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20637222
      > <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20637222>
      >
      > http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900
      > <http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900>
      >
      > It is however only the bombs that dropped for the eight months of the
      > Blitz from October 1940 to June 1941. So not the whole of the war.
      > However, it is not even all the bombs of that period. But it is in
      > interesting website nonetheless. But it is being too heavily hit today
      > so not operating too well.
      >
      > I found the bomb which took our house out right at the beginning of it,
      > but they have only one bomb falling there. In fact there were two, for
      > two consecutive nights. The site is at Tottenham Hale, Broad Lane
      > Tottenham N15. The first night an incendiary bomb landed on our shelter
      > in the back yard. We were supposed to have been in it but they had all
      > stayed in the house playing cards. The second night the high explosive
      > bomb dropped on the same spot and took out three or four houses. But we
      > were not in it. We had gone down in a shelter in a factory just across
      > the road. It would be interesting to see all the bombs that landed on
      > London for the whole six years; and including the V1's and the V2
      > rockets. But maybe even this is more than enough. Not the best of times
      > to be sure.
      >
      > rwr
      > Merlin, I slept under 105 m.m. cannon firing overhead. Not much sleep but I think low flying fighters are worse. F15 are really disruptive. We had a pilot buzz the western part of the city. He hasn`t given a reason but he is being debrifed and has been grounded.
      The local rag has interviewed a pearl harbour survivor. He was on the Nevada and stayed in the Navy for thirty years. He said it just rained death all day. The Nevada was run aground after taking 7 bomb hits. His ship group is now disbanded. There are so few left there is no one to participate. So tell those war stories, it is good to know what is really bad and what is just a hinderance. Thanks Merlin. Bill