Re: Try existentialism

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2012
      Yes, Bill, if I need to apply a label, this would be the one. I relate to Beauvoir's commitment and unfortunately to her sick relationship with Sartre; to his inquiry into reason, but not his sensibilities; to Camus' sensibilities and understanding of our absurd position in the universe though not his intellectual exposition. The only problem I have with existentialism is when I compare it with Hegel's depth in phenomenology, but that's probably because I haven't read enough Sartre, the only one took on Hegel in his own work. I don't like Sartre's fiction much compared to Camus and think Beauvoir the better novelist.

      We are alone here but also together, and this paradox is most addressed in existentialism. Joy and terror, as you also mentioned, go hand in hand, as do many oppositions in reason. A flight to certain beliefs is understandable but not with the existential condition. The lack of incorporation of science into existentialism is an arguable problem but so are attempts to dilute it to specific philosophers. Looking at the whole body of the philosophy's writers, it easy to observe the differences, but this is a good thing, not a negative. That Heidegger and Nietzsche are in the pantheon is a positive. What do they have in common?

      > Certainly Mary understands existentialism and I like her updated conclusions about the philosophy. I would ask her if she thinks herself an existentialist in the present time.
    • William
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2012