What am I

  • William
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
      I think this question at face value is derogatory. I am not a what and a stayement of animate of inaminate seem more basic that needed. Of course Decartes starts With an I am statement. So OK, I am. I exist I am animate. How do I know that because I think it, I think it and I know it.
      Now existance is turbulant even if you know what you are and where you are going. Knowing you are going to die is a consimate bit of knowledge. It limits a finite existance and puts us in line with the rest of existance. Just like everything here you came into existance and you will leave it. Even the elements join in this advance and end.
      Only the primevil energy bolt in the big bang seems to be different. It blasted in as pure energy and precipated out matter . Mass and energy rule and we ride on the wave of their interaction.
      So I am an animate being of mass and energy. I am self aware in a human mode but see animals aware of their lives in other ways. So I am a sentient human being and I seem to possess a life obsession that makes me want to survive even though I know I will die.
      That to me suggests a radical tension in human life, An existential dichotomy is at our core. Living and dying are a necessity and a horror. The existentialist tries to live with integrity and authenticity within this ironic position. Angst is always present and nihilism is always just around the bend.
      Next comes where did I come from. Many find that unimportant but I want to understand my natural history. It is the matter part of me and I want to understand it. I can do that and have learned a great deal about it in my years. I evolved from single celled organisms. It took billions of years but it is still going on in all species all phyla.
      DNA was discoverer in my life time . The theory has exploded and now we genetically alter other species and on the medical field we change our own DNA.More directly I came from union of sperm and egg and played out an ontogeny recapulates phylogeny deveolpment.
      The first two questions seem self explanatary too me but Dick knows some that approach the questions even ask other questions. But if you want to get more basic than the Big Bang , I severely doubt the existance of the things you postulate. I will be busy with question three, Where am I going? It is fully answered but for all the time and space I will appreciate until I die. Back to the beginning,back to the dichotomy, back to the angst and the fight against the nagging nihilism. Back to the stress and elation of existance.Back to the birth of another sentient. Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2012
        Bill

        This is very consistent with what you've posited as existentialism as long as I've been here. I especially appreciate your sections about integrity and authenticity alongside angst and the lure of nihilism. Uncertainty is not as broad or comfortable a place as the certainty preachers would have us understand.

        > I think this question at face value is derogatory. I am not a what and a stayement of animate of inaminate seem more basic that needed. Of course Decartes starts With an I am statement. So OK, I am. I exist I am animate. How do I know that because I think it, I think it and I know it.
        > Now existance is turbulant even if you know what you are and where you are going. Knowing you are going to die is a consimate bit of knowledge. It limits a finite existance and puts us in line with the rest of existance. Just like everything here you came into existance and you will leave it. Even the elements join in this advance and end.
        > Only the primevil energy bolt in the big bang seems to be different. It blasted in as pure energy and precipated out matter . Mass and energy rule and we ride on the wave of their interaction.
        > So I am an animate being of mass and energy. I am self aware in a human mode but see animals aware of their lives in other ways. So I am a sentient human being and I seem to possess a life obsession that makes me want to survive even though I know I will die.
        > That to me suggests a radical tension in human life, An existential dichotomy is at our core. Living and dying are a necessity and a horror. The existentialist tries to live with integrity and authenticity within this ironic position. Angst is always present and nihilism is always just around the bend.
        > Next comes where did I come from. Many find that unimportant but I want to understand my natural history. It is the matter part of me and I want to understand it. I can do that and have learned a great deal about it in my years. I evolved from single celled organisms. It took billions of years but it is still going on in all species all phyla.
        > DNA was discoverer in my life time . The theory has exploded and now we genetically alter other species and on the medical field we change our own DNA.More directly I came from union of sperm and egg and played out an ontogeny recapulates phylogeny deveolpment.
        > The first two questions seem self explanatary too me but Dick knows some that approach the questions even ask other questions. But if you want to get more basic than the Big Bang , I severely doubt the existance of the things you postulate. I will be busy with question three, Where am I going? It is fully answered but for all the time and space I will appreciate until I die. Back to the beginning,back to the dichotomy, back to the angst and the fight against the nagging nihilism. Back to the stress and elation of existance.Back to the birth of another sentient. Bill

      • Dick.
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2012
          You are NOT in a possition of being able to talk about mystical states of consciousness, nor even comment on it. So why don't you quit
          it and get back to talking about mundane local politics in your part of the world. Talk about what you know and quit arsing around with things you do not know. You are so BORING.

          Dick Richardson