Re: Contact 1997. The Voyage

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
      Bill,

      I believe Dick's mystical experiences happened for him; I don't believe they will happen for all who seek them now or possibly ever. He told us we'll just have to wait and see, but he can't possibly know that simply on the basis of it happening to him. Nor do I believe the interpretation of his experiences applies to anyone who has something similar or even exactly. Believing they happened to him is simply trust, which is neither scientific nor philosophical. There was no one there to verify he actually died, but I believe he believes he did. Believing some of what he says doesn't require faith in either an afterlife or a deity. I'm no longer interested in that kind of fruitless speculation. Whatever happens, happens.

      > > It's one of my favorite films. What I appreciated about it was that Ellie's experiences were not what she expected and that her only ally ultimately was Minister Joss. When nobody experiences exactly what you experience, you're asking them to believe you and to act on your word. Sometimes it's necessary to believe someone else.
      > >
      > > Mary
      > >Mary,Can you extrapolate that attitude on to the mystical writings of Dick?
    • Dick.
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
        I have never been dead and I don't believe that I have ever been dead. Neither do the others I found with exactly the same experience as that one believed that they were dead. I talk about LIFE. The dead do not come back to talk of it. Best not talk about books which you have not read. One CAN KNOW some of the things which ARE going to happen. I know that you will not always be here. Wait and see.

        rwr

        > Bill,
        >
        > I believe Dick's mystical experiences happened for him; I don't believe they will happen for all who seek them now or possibly ever. He told us we'll just have to wait and see, but he can't possibly know that simply on the basis of it happening to him. Nor do I believe the interpretation of his experiences applies to anyone who has something similar or even exactly. Believing they happened to him is simply trust, which is neither scientific nor philosophical. There was no one there to verify he actually died, but I believe he believes he did. Believing some of what he says doesn't require faith in either an afterlife or a deity. I'm no longer interested in that kind of fruitless speculation. Whatever happens, happens.
        >
        > Mary

      • William
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012

          > Bill,
          >
          > I believe Dick's mystical experiences happened for him; I don't believe they will happen for all who seek them now or possibly ever. He told us we'll just have to wait and see, but he can't possibly know that simply on the basis of it happening to him. Nor do I believe the interpretation of his experiences applies to anyone who has something similar or even exactly. Believing they happened to him is simply trust, which is neither scientific nor philosophical. There was no one there to verify he actually died, but I believe he believes he did. Believing some of what he says doesn't require faith in either an afterlife or a deity. I'm no longer interested in that kind of fruitless speculation. Whatever happens, happens.
          >
          > Mary
          >Mary, as you have probably noticed I do not respond to Dicks mysticism writings. When he posts something about matters outside mysticism I respond if it interests me. He writes well when he is not pissed off and then I enjoy the conversation. The business of posting the words of others without revealing them as a source can be problematic. I do not know the people who ask him questions and suspect he and they are one in the same. He can remedy that by saying who is asking him the question. If ammonimity is required simply say so.
          The movie in question has a story line that somewhat mirrors what Dick says he experienced especially that when the herione came back no one else thought she had gone anywhere.Somewhere there is a break with reality and a simple counting should suffice to claim the more probable sequence of events. I have no similar experience and am happy I have not. Seti itself helps answer if something could happen as no one has called. Time warp is very improbable and a simple inter mind aberration is a much more likely explanation. I can see how such an explanation is not welcome to the one experiencing the events. Postulating a whole extra sort of existance is illogical ,extreme and wildly egotistical.Jim Jones and David Koresch used scripture to build followers. At least Dick does not directly encourage followers.I agree that if you take a tripnd never leave the farm it is best to keep it quiet. Bill

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
            It is hilarious listening to you talking about you know not what and then casting judgment upon it. It is better that watching the TV or a movie. Why, like most sane people, do you not just say that you don't know and leave it at that. But I must say that it makes bloody good entertainment listening to you. Your lady friend there is too smart for that and keeps her mouth shut. That is why I have cut and pasted some of your comments grim in many other places. As for all these correspondents then assuring you that they are real would be pointless :- ) And who the fuck cares what you think anyway? No, I do not name correspondents ever; it is PRIVATE. A few have wanted to be named, so fair enough. But I do use parts of their emails for it is relevant and so many people do know bits of all this and they want to know more. We all know that you know everything so there is no more to learn :- ))) However, keep up the good work, there are not enough real comedians around. So what did aunty Anny down you ally vote, it is so bloody interesting that I am busting a gut in anticipation :- ))) Why the fuck don't you ever talk about something interesting?

            Dick