Selfhood?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2012
      Selfhood?

      [ It is said that selfhood starts at the skin, and which separates us
      from anything else as a unique individual. You mentioned that the
      question you asked was as to what you were when everything which was not
      you was extracted from the system which was not you, or the self. You
      then later found out. Was that a coincidence or what? ]

      It might have been a coincidence if that is what had happened. But that
      IS NOT what happened. You have put the cart before the horse. I offer
      the QUESTION – What are you when everything which is NOT you is
      extracted from the system – FROM HINDSIGHT of finding it. That IS
      NOT the question which I asked myself when I was little at all. Neither
      did I actually ask any such question – it popped up into my mind
      from below my conscious awareness. It was in inside job (intuitive or
      minor mystical event), not something that somebody asked me.

      The question that popped up into my mind when I was three was WHAT AM I.
      It also added why am I not somebody else, etc. I had no idea what it
      all meant, I was not much more than a toddler at the time. But it got me
      going, I could not get the question out of my head, and it made me
      curious and inquisitive. But it IS a good question isn't it. But
      that question which you quoted correctly above was not framed by me
      until I was over 24 years of age and grown up a bit. But I had already
      found it by then. So it was a question framed from hindsight of the
      event of finding it. So that is not the question which I was asking me,
      it is one which I ask to other people. So, What are YOU when everything
      which is not you is extracted from your system until only the YOU is
      left? Do you know? It is there to find. YOU are there to find. Nobody
      else can find YOU for you. That is your job.

      But this skin is not me, nor is the body, nor are the thoughts, nor are
      the memories. Why the hell do you think I say KNOW YOUR SELF. Do you
      think that you (at that level) are any different to what I AM ? If so
      why? This is Psychology mate, the study of what you are. The study of
      one's self. DONT let people tell you what you are. They don't
      even seem to know what they are. But they have a lot of beliefs about
      it; go and ask them and listen to their answers :- ))) STUFF their
      beliefs and opinions. Only KNOWING works and is of value.

      © Dick Richardson