The Future of Urban Man?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2012
      The Future of Urban Man?

      [ When you look at the size of cities and vast urban areas these days,
      and how fast they are growing every year, and population growth,
      longevity, demands on energy, all the sewage and waste disposal
      problems, your prediction of great changes seem to be obvious. But what?
      Does anybody even ask how it can be done, or if it can be done, and how?
      ]

      I am sure that millions of people ask that question and many try to do
      things in so far as they can. More than enough has been written about
      it. Some pessimistic and some optimistic. But, you know, we (or rather
      they) will damn well have to make it work; or else. Or else what?
      Chaos and devastation. The technology and engineering potentials and
      ability these days is phenomenal. They can build new cities in a few
      years. My plan would be to start building them OUT THERE. Hundreds of
      them over the next few centuries. We can do it. But a key question to
      all this is building it in a way which makes it worth living in it. You
      still have to have the non urban areas and maintain them. I am sure
      that the consensus will to do it is there. It is not something which you
      can give up on and throw the towel in is it. Where there are problems to
      be solved children seem to come along who can solve them. But as I have
      said, and as is obvious anyway, you can only do it one day at a time,
      and in order to do it people have to get off their arse and make it
      happen. The world of the future will be no place for slackers and
      cop-outs. Fantasia does not make the earth turn or put food on your
      table does it. And man is always at its best in the worst of times don't
      you know. Strange eh. Or maybe not so strange really. But I remain
      optimistic.

      Hey, were I live they have never seen so much rain. There are floods all
      over the joint. But folks get on with it you know. There are far more
      people who help each other out and get things done than those who don't.
      You should have seen them during the war. Bloody heroes mate. I have as
      much use for slackers and pessimists as I have for a rotten egg. None.

      rwr