Instigating your own death?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2012
      Instigating your own death?

      [ My own view – currently I am 56 years old and feel I am gradually
      approaching
      old age – is, like yours, that I would like to decide for myself
      when the
      appropriate time is for my life to end. I don't want to live "too long"
      when my
      enjoyment of life is gone and I am a burden on others, who have their
      own lives
      to lead.

      I would prefer a change in the UK law so that people who reach the point
      where
      they want to die (after careful reflection, and not on a whim) can apply
      for
      their own termination. This idea of applying for one's own death by
      filling in a
      Government form, has a slightly distasteful flavour to it, but here in
      England
      we cannot all be like Bill with his large calibre hand gun in his bottom
      drawer.

      I think the idea of "living wills" – regularly updated – stating
      that if I were
      to become incapacitated in body and mind such that I can no longer live
      meaningful life, then my wish is for my life to be ended. Or if I retain
      a sound
      mind, I should be able to consent to my own death, in a clinic or at
      home,
      without the need to carry out the deed in secret or in violation of the
      law of
      the land. ]

      It makes no difference where you live, or what the law of the land is.
      If you want to instigate your own death you do not need assistance in it
      or the permission of anyone else. Just do it. But do it while you still
      have your faculties about you, or you will not be able to do it. But all
      the time you are alive you can learn. Even in the worst of times. I
      would recommend sticking it out until the last breath. 56? Chicken feed
      lad. I would also recommend stop reading `philosophers' and
      LIVE. THAT is how you learn. As for pain in old age then I know a bit
      about that, but so what? Where there is pain there is still life. As for
      others having to lend a hand at times then so what, you did enough in
      raising them all did you not. You give some and you take some. And the
      old can teach the young so much. IF they are open to learning. If they
      ain't then they will do it all the hard way. Same old same old
      story.

      Dick Richardson (England)