Re: Hegel on the Master - Slave Relationship

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 18, 2012
      Hello Mary,

      Thank you for enquiring how my Hegel reading is going.

      I have to admit it has taken a back seat in the last couple of months as I have been reading other things for reading and discussion groups I attend here in Nottingham, England.

      I hope to get back to Hegel before too long as I wish to complete The Phenomenology – I am about three-quarters through it. I am also half way through Charles Taylor's book on Hegel which I am thoroughly enjoying reading.

      As you suggest it is possible to read Hegel in different ways – with either theistic or atheistic presuppositions. However I try to read without bringing in my own biases if this is possible. I suppose this involves a `naive reading', similar to what you are doing at the moment.

      I think with a philosopher as difficult as Hegel, reading some of the secondary literature is essential, but I try to balance my reading of the secondary literature so I can compare opposing interpretations.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 18, 2012
        I read Hegel early in the morning when my mind is rested but only for an hour, then return to any challenging sections the following morning. After reading about the universal object and universal subject vs. the impossibility of a universal experience, in the Sense Certainty section today, I sat dazed with my hands over my face and pondered the assumptions of common thought. I enjoy his rigorous exposition of philosophy as a logic and a science.