La Belle Helene

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2012
      La Belle Helene

      [ You said that you were fascinated by Greek Mythology stories when you
      were young. Why do you think that was? Do you think that Homer really
      existed as a person, and that the tales had any historic truth in them?
      ]

      Ahh, the first singer of songs in the western world at the dawn of
      western literature in the prehistoric times of the late Bronze Age; how
      fascinating eh :- ) There is nothing known of Homer for sure, or as to
      if ever such a person existed. But I was more fascinated by the songs
      than by the singer of them. But they got written somehow. Why was I
      fascinated by them? I really do not know why. Maybe I just found some
      stuff in the library one day and got triggered into it. I really cannot
      remember now. My father knew Greek and Latin but he was more interested
      in ancient Rome than in the prehistoric Aegean Hellenistic Bronze Age
      period. So nobody I know triggered my interest in it.

      However, my favourite tale was the Iliad, far more so than the
      phantasmagorical Odyssey tale – and which later I discovered had
      quite a bit of deep human psychological archetype entwined within it.
      But the poetic story of Greece and Troy seemed to be a far more
      historically based tale. Homeric times are only about three thousand
      years ago, but the tale must have been verbally told for quite some few
      hundreds of years before being written down; and very flowered up in
      that process, as folks do. But yes, I certainly do feel that they were
      based on legends of old before the time of documenting them and recorded
      history began. And the stories and personality traits are so human. But
      as to what really happened in the Aegean area four thousand years ago in
      the late Bronze Age is a fascinating mystery isn't it. There is much in
      the way of archaeological finds and probably much more to be found as
      yet. But in those times women could own land and property and be very
      powerful in social terms. They also dominated in Bronze Age
      `spirituality'. So I feel quite sure that La Bella Helene could well
      have been a real historical based person of great wealth and power, and
      probably seeking more of it which was to be found over in the east
      across the watery highways in the great Hittite civilisation. It is the
      stuff to dream dreams on isn't it :- ) And yet it is a period so close
      in human time to our own, yet we know so little about it. Imagine all
      that history before it. Must sure have been in the days when life here
      was so exciting and adventurous eh. Imagine living in a time when there
      was no history. But nonetheless they told stories around the camp fires
      did they not. I guess I must have felt an empathy with it :- )

      rwr