Hope in the younger generation

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2012
      Bill mentioned how his hope has been restored for the younger generation, and I can't help feeling existentialism is tailor made for them. Many are already turned off to mainstream media and finding ways to affect the political process to become more inclusive. They still read Dostoevsky and others in the existentialist literary pantheon. Existentialism appeals to those refining their unique identities while continuing to address collective efforts like political and environmental activism. Some I've talked to have mocked the 60's for splintering economic solidarity into 'diversity' programs, but I think it was a necessary phase to grow through, because those excluded groups are just now able to exert their political power. They employ new technologies, not simply for socializing but for communicating and coordinating their activism. Those who remain solitary can't really complain much. They've chosen their path of letting others decide the direction of those institutions which ultimately affect them. So I see existentialism as having a dual appeal, that of individual freedom but not at the expense of collective political enterprises, and I hope they'll stay active in holding government representatives accountable to representing them, not corporations.