A Devotion To?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2012
      A Devotion To?

      [ These are interesting points. Why is somebody devoted to the study of
      what it is they study. A temporary or lifelong fixation for analysis on
      this or that. ]

      The WHY is a good question isn't it :- ) However, it is a good
      thing that different people want to study different things, and then
      they can all write their findings out for others to chew over. It can
      also motivate others to study that thing.

      There seems to be two aspects to the WHY. One being because they have
      had some personal experience with that thing. The other is far more
      nebulous. That is to say that somebody studies this or that but they
      have not had personal experience in that thing. So why do they want to
      study it? But they do.

      The next question is how deep and for how long do they study it? A few
      days? A few years? A few decades? Or all their life? And how deeply do
      they get into it? How much can be learned and known about any one
      thing? What is there to be known?

      I don't ever recall meeting anybody who was only interested in just
      one thing. Have you? But you do find people who seem to be interested in
      just a few thing and many spend much time studying just one or two
      things in some depth. Personally I have always been one of those with an
      interest in so many things and have devoted time to so many things, but
      not just one thing in particular. But there are a few things which have
      taken up far more time and effort than others. So, personally I have
      been a one to be happy with just a little study devoted to this or that
      and much more study devoted in depth to a small number of things. Now,
      it would be fascinating to have much more time to study ALL things in
      great depth would it not. But I have not got enough time for that so
      one has to choose which :- ))) What turns you on most? A great
      attraction. Why? There HAS to be an answer to the WHY. It isn't just
      for survival :- ))) The only thing that a big study of the game of
      football will save you from is – boredom :- )))) Oh, we are mighty
      strange and mysterious things are we not. What shall I study today???
      What exists to be studied? But you have to know that it exists before
      you can study it. Hey, how about sun spots?

      Dick Richardson