Re: gender and ageism

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 25, 2012
      Bill,

      I feel the practical effect of keeping Romney Corp. out of office outweighs my concerns for creating a more vibrant democracy. Yes, everyone needs to be concerned about the SCOTUS. I'll be relieved when the media circus of the two party system ends, but I will begin encouraging other parties and candidates to challenge the present system and win a seat at the table. If there's some kind of election Event, this will jump start this movement. The 2000 election debacle was a missed opportunity, not because Nader took votes away from Gore, but because the Constitution and the integrity of the entire electoral process should have been center stage, not the candidates. The Commission on Presidential Debates is one place to start. Young voters need to make this one of their priorities and begin preparing for the next elections; they need to break the two-party stranglehold.

      Change is coming, democratically.

> [...]
      > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "William" <vize9938@> wrote:

      > > > Mary, I am rewatching the third debate and am amased at Romney`s escape back to the center. He agrees with Obama over and over. Were I in his base I would be angry. All those republican debates and the emergent candidate disavows all they postulated in a last minute rush to the center. I suspect that Romney would govern from a position much like Bush . Mc Govern`s . death reminds me of my volutility during that time. Were I young ,now , I fear I would be in the streets. I hated Nixon and his hard hat constituancy were stupid goons. As I watched my friends dragged off to Nam my distaste for the government was huge.
      > > > It is not that bad today and the young have a reasonable president with Obama.The economy is coming back and the young will find jobs to pay down their student debts. I agree with you that supporting a third party would only allow the right to get back in power.
      > > > The democratic ground game is very strong here with volunteers,most young, at our door . No Republicans have showed up. perhaps it is the Obama sign in the front that shoos them away.
      > > > I can trace my modernism and its evolution from those College days and see it as rational and contiguous. The right remains the war party and as a dove Obama has talons. Ask Osama. Romney refuses to cut defense and that alone puts him out of bounds for me. You know I am not against killing our enemies when all else fails. A sequestration may be the only way we can get the cuts we need . Obama`s comment about horses and bayonetts is sharp but true. The Admirals and Generals will not back down off the obscene spending and our population will remain hostage to them as long as we maintain the huge defense budgets. It is the same old game ,guns or butter. For you and I this is pretty much a done deal. The cola increase in Jan will be welcomed but it will not set me off on an extended world tour. The seamless adhesion to a modernist life style is unchagned but evolving. I will keep writing as I see it as a duty. I do not think it unseemly to be repetative when right so if I bore some , so be it. Read Dick if it gets too bad. The volunteers want me to vote early but i want to eyeball the mean old republican women at my voting place. As Willy says"Roll me up and smoke me when I die. And if they don`t like it just look them in the eye" Bill

    • William
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2012

        > Bill,
        >
        > I feel the practical effect of keeping Romney Corp. out of office outweighs my concerns for creating a more vibrant democracy. Yes, everyone needs to be concerned about the SCOTUS. I'll be relieved when the media circus of the two party system ends, but I will begin encouraging other parties and candidates to challenge the present system and win a seat at the table. If there's some kind of election Event, this will jump start this movement. The 2000 election debacle was a missed opportunity, not because Nader took votes away from Gore, but because the Constitution and the integrity of the entire electoral process should have been center stage, not the candidates. The Commission on Presidential Debates is one place to start. Young voters need to make this one of their priorities and begin preparing for the next elections; they need to break the two-party stranglehold.
        >
        > Change is coming, democratically.
        >
        > Mary
        > Mary, I do not know the constitutanality of the two party system. I know we used to have multiple parties and do not know who or what sanctions a new party. The tea party may have backfired on the republicans as I think a new leftist party probably would on the democrats. The political machines will balk at any such attempts and losing an election now can change the country for generations.
        I do think any serious glitch in american democracy would be most serious to world order. Bush 2 was a miscarrage of electoral propriety and that glitch has certainly cost us dearly. Two wars and a deep recession are directly attributable to the neocon scourge. I just cannot see a way to risk another take over by the Bush / Chaney bunch. If you could build a left wing coalition in four years and get it elected you would be a super woman. I see a better chance obliterating the neocon right wing and letting the democrats drift to a soft landing on the left. Electing Hillary might accomplish such goals without risking a right wing takeover. Getting her and Bill to run the country might get substantial support from moderates like me. Yes I consider myseld a moderate and am not one to risk huge change like throwing out well reguleted capitalism. I do not want to end up like China under a politburo and a de facto dictator. Bill