Assessing the truth of something?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2012
      Assessing the truth of something?

      [ The question of what is truth must be as old as any other question.
      How would you negotiate this problem? ]

      I don't see it as being a problem; I see it as a fascinating quest. But
      this itself raises a few questions doesn't it. The question of are you
      telling the truth is not the same question as to what is true about
      something. There is also the question of as to what is being used as the
      yardstick, measure, or criteria as to knowing the truth of this or that.
      If you were the only person to witness a murder then only you and the
      guilty party would know the truth of who committed it. Your testimony
      would only be hearsay to a third party. So hearsay may be true or may
      not be true as far as the third party is concerned. Then there is the
      question of what credence the third party gives to the testimony and
      character of both the accuser and the accused. But, is that criteria
      good enough? Is it good enough in all cases?

      The answer to the question `What is true' is much easier to answer than
      the question `What is the truth of this or that claim'. True is that
      which IS SO about something. If you know what is true about something
      then one does not need any further evidence or hearsay or being told,
      for you already know it. But if you don't know as to what is true about
      something then how are you to assess the truth of a claim made regarding

      Then there is the question of only that which you can know. Do you like
      ice cream? Nobody else can know that, only you. How can you reveal the
      fact that you like ice cream if you really do like ice cream? You
      cannot. You might be seen eating ice cream every day of your life which
      might indicate that you do like it; but you might be a masochist. You
      might say that you like it a million times every day; but saying it does
      not reveal that you do like it.

      What was it that Descartes said – `I think, therefore I am'. As to
      why he should need rational proof of his existence beats me, but
      Descartes did not know that thinking was not a criteria of existing and
      that we can and do exist in a mode where we cannot think at all. I know
      that but he did not know that. So, what do we each assess the truth of
      something by?

      Is it or is it not true that on the surface of this planet apples fall
      off a tree in the direction of the ground and not in the direction of
      the sky? If it is so then the question of as to why is another question.
      It is sometimes the case that finding one truth leads on to many more
      questions. Where, in temporal existence, do questions ever end? I doubt
      that they do ever end. One can always find something to ask a question
      about. How much money is spent each year the world over on religious
      broadcasting? That alone could feed all the people who go hungry the
      world over. If the godo of this or that belief system is almighty and
      all powerful then why does it require religious broadcasting?

      Many people claim that human experience, or this or that human
      experience, is not true, not real. There is NO human experience which is
      not real experience. But what is the sum of what exists to be
      experienced? Or even forgetting the word `sum' then simply what exists
      to be experienced at all? How do you assess the justification of a
      particular question? Have you stopped beating your wife? Finding
      answers to this or that event or this or that phenomenon is somehow
      satisfying. And in doing so a small degree of ignorance is no more.
      Knowing just one thing would be more satisfying than believing in ten
      billion things. Then there are the questions of what do you do with it
      and why. There is damn all you can do with ignorance, but you can do so
      much with knowledge and understanding. The point, the moment, the event,
      of understanding something is a very mysterious one. How much time and
      effort is required to understand something? When, in the Eternal mode of
      consciousness, how long does it take to understand what you are? Do you