Mysticism is not a chosen path

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2012
      Mysticism is not a chosen path

      [ If somebody rejects their way of life they can choose to alter it. If
      somebody rejects the religion which they were brought up in they can
      choose another path. If they choose to learn another language from the
      one they were brought up in then they can do so. You mention that some
      people reject or run away from mystical experience, therefore those who
      don't must have chosen it. ]

      Oh dear, you really are confusing issues here. Most of what you say
      above is indeed true, but then you throw in a bogy. I think they call
      this fogging the issue don't they? Best keep your thinking in line
      with the facts sir.

      Yes, I did choose another life style from the one I was born in and
      moved away from it and also educated myself. Yes, I did once choose to
      learn another language but found it pointless so I quit it. Yes, some
      people do reject their religion and jump on the bandwagon of another
      one; how about the protestant revolution for example; how about the
      North American `gnostics' who were christian fundamentalists?
      How about all those in the west who switched to buddhism and meditation?
      How about all the Japanese who switched to christianity? All this is
      obvious isn't it. Some people may well hear about mysticism and jump
      on the band wagon. But they are not mystics.

      However mystical experience and that way if life is not a religion and
      one does not choose it. One is presented with it just as one is
      presented with eyesight or lungs. One does not choose to have mystical
      experience at the age of three, or any of them. Neither does one choose
      to have psychic experiences. You cannot just switch this stuff on no
      more than you can choose to fall in love with somebody, or not fall in
      love with them. Also, you can choose what you look at in daily life but
      you cannot choose to see; and you cannot choose what is there when you
      do use your eyes.

      Also, you make an analogy with learning another language. Think about
      it. Theoretically learning another language is much easier than learning
      your native language was. For you can hear or read that this word means
      the same as `above'. But when learning your first language there
      was no other word to indicate what this one means. You had to have it
      explained to you what it means (or look it up in a dictionary and try
      to work it out) and then you had to grasp the concept or phenomena. But
      in learning a second language you are just translating from one word to
      another word and then substituting it. No sir, mystical experience is
      not a chosen path and it is not a religion. It just comes. Hells Bells
      I ought to bloody well know.

      And yes, some people do initially try to forget it, turn away from it.
      But they did not choose to have it in the first place did they. You
      imply that I chose to continue with it. But I didn't. I simple did
      not run away from it. There is a difference. Nor did I ever try to
      encourage any of it. So, you have got this all wrong. You have taken
      some truths and then bending it for your purpose. The Roman religion did
      that. And they also offered to extricate people from hell and put them
      in heaven for a price. What a wonderful mob eh. But they could only
      fool the people if the people were up for being fooled. That is religion
      for you. Mystical experience and the mystical way of life is not a
      religion. It is about what we are and then encountering those facets of
      being. Ipso bloody well facto. Argue when you know something for sure.
      Not until.

      Dick Richardson