Where else modernism can take you

  • William
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2012
      Certainly away from the maddening crowd . So must the individualist be an isolationist? One place where Dick seemed modernist was in his relative isolationism. He did not give a damn what others thought about his ideas and that hard kernal of self tied him to his atheism and stark individuality.

      Were Mary male I think she would be much the same but her gender leads her to a commensuality typical of women.
      I really cannot figure Irvin out. He sometimes sounds like an old time FN guy but has Ann Rand tendancies that are not contempoary but more like post war US industrialist ideas.
      I know I am becomming more isolationist but that is my time of life, less involved, more quiet and less intense. It is younger peoples turn to lead in action. I am anxious to see the election results and voter demographics. Then I will be able to see where these young people will take us.
      I am most thanfful to be in a democracy where my vote counts as much as that of a twenty something. Should the young show a trend toward self reliance and indivualism I would gladly follow them into a better future. In a couple of weeks I hope to make plans for the retirement portion of my life. I would like to have a general idea of the directions that the younger people might take. Bill
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 22, 2012
        Bill,

        I've learned to live with paradox; we are autonomous and interrelated. Modernism, your sanitized word for Existentialism, must embrace both. The world is shrinking and what comprises a community has changed. No one is independent of environment and community, and the more one communicates with others, even if only to convince them to be isolationist, the more they prove the contrary. As I try to convince others of solidarity I betray my isolation from all but a select few. Philosophically, as well as scientifically, all life is interconnected. We are a community of individuals, not one or the other. Existlist is an internet community, including those who mostly read here. A unity of difference, a totality of totalities. One asserts their individual rights on the basis of or in opposition to a community or constitutional standard. Limits are an impasse meant to be sublated; truth is sometimes wrong and lies are often right. Contradiction, opposition, and negation are not only how life proceeds, they are how speculative thought develops. I need both isolation and community because that is what we are, individual and connected. Think this is our natural structure and this is how we think--alone and together.

        Keep writing; I'm reading.