New imperatives

  • William
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2012
      The naysayers have run their course and the plans they have used to slow progress and delay economic gains are exposed. Bill Clinton has accused them of purposely voting and talking down the economy. The obstructionist house has done its job but the playing field is changing. Soon the manditory cuts will take place and the right has to make a deal or face manditory cuts,especially in defense, that would destroy their base.
      Ben Stein was doing his best moderate facade when he let it slip that what the right fears most are manditory defense cuts. All the threats against social security and medicare are scare tactics designed to draw attention away fron the sacred defense cow. Defense is where the big money is. Defense is where the peace dividend resides and defense is where the right has its monetary and ideological treasure trove.
      Now the threat from the right is recession if defense is slashed but where will that recession be centered? It will be in the south where bases will be closed and defense factories slowed.
      In this area the unemployment rate just dropped to 5.2%. We have very little defense industry and few bases. We have built energy and ag jobs and can sell all of our production from those areas. So what will the right wing sacrifice? Ignoring any moral arguments they will elect to keep foreign arms sales and slow weapons systems for future deployment. Of course they can sell drones over fighter planes and specconventional maneuver divisions will be slashed in favor of special operations units.
      Now if Romney can win and gin up a war all this will be changed and we will revert to Bush era ,neocon policies. Still those manditory cuts loom and the dealing still has to be done. Bill