Civilasation building

  • William
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2012
      The idea of nation building has fallen into disrepute. Generally the Republicans take a keep the bloody wogs in check attitude.If they get out of line bomb them into submission. The Democrats under FDR and Truman rebuilt Europe and Japan but were slowed down by Ike and the nuclear age.
      I do not know where nation building leads to. If it is a universal USA I am against it. If it is about having a civilised world, count me in. If that means killing off rogue elements like the taliban I can agree with that. That also goes for Somalian pirates and Alqueda and the Shite malitias. You just can`t build civilised nations with elements of violent revolutionaries operating within a nations borders. What is grouped under the term terrorism is being effectively controlled by advanced intelligence techniques and direct erradication with drones and covert special forces actions.Obama signals a change in dealing with these nonnational threats.He goes after them even inside recalcitrant foreign governments. Having lived outside this country he knows the dual natures of less stable states. Bush thought it necessary to invade while Obama just kills the terrorists. I think that may be as good as we can do in this age. We may never kill them all but we can keep their violence to a less destructive level. In the mean time we need do fair business with those struggling governments and support progressive programs for their people. Libya is a prime example. We did not invade Libya in fact the terrorists invaded us in Libya. Now we have a national interest in hunting down and erradicating the terrorist elements. We will do it and Libya may progress to a level of civilasation not seen before. Cowboy invasions with armies are a thing of the past but unfortunately no one has told the neocon conservatives here in US. They still want to send in the marines and tear up some real estate. That is not civilised and illustrates how some of the enemy remains within. Bill