How did you get your first job?

  • Dick.
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2012
      How did you get your first job?

      [ A bit off topic but how did you get your first job Richard, you were
      not a mystic then were you? And how did you get the job at Scotland
      Yard? ]

      Well, don't laugh, but my mother got it for me :- ) No, I was not a
      mystic by my definition of mystic then, but I had been having mini
      experiences since I was three. So unbeknown to me then I was a budding
      mystic banging on the door of it so to speak.

      But my mother knew that I wanted to be an engineer rather that a
      draughtsman, and that I loved the smell of petrol and oil and also
      repairing things; taking them apart and putting them back again. I did
      not mind getting dirty because it washed off. But I was still at school
      until I was fifteen and I left school at Yuletide in 1953 just after my
      birthday. She went into the largest garage in Tottenham and asked if
      they would take her son on. They took her to the workshop manager and
      she told them about me, and they said OK get him to start when we come
      back from the Yuletide holiday at the end of December. She told me when
      I came home from school, so I said thanks, OK, great. So that is how I
      got it :- ))) Good old mum eh. Best friend I ever had. When I went in
      the army three years later she used to make huge bread puddings and post
      them to me would you believe; two at a time :- ))) Fun eh. Where would
      we be without mums ! Now there is a good question :- )

      I saw the job at the Metropolitan Police advertised in the London
      Evening News, I applied for it and got it. I would have been happy to
      stay there had I not gone back to Exmoor. But I had to go back because
      it was a deep yearning and hunger; I had to be there. I drove down one
      long weekend and got a job driving a beer lorry :- )))) I have been very
      lucky and know it.

      Merlin of Exmoor