Sequestration

  • William
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2012
      The squabbling congress has painted itself in a corner. Early next Jan big cuts will go into effect for federal agencies. These cuts are both military and domestic. These are draconian cuts and money will be sequestered away from federal agencies unless the congress can agree on spending cuts and tax increases of greater magnitude than the required cuts.
      The election comes before the cuts and republicans know the cuts will gut defense spending and destroy the budgets of the military industrial complex.Obama and the Democrats can see a double wammey to conservative interests if they can win the eletion and gut defense spending. It is high speed, high stakes chicken and the right will bluff and bluster until the election. If they lose they will have to make a deal or become a minority for the forseable future.
      If the dems win they may elect to let the process kill the old southern strategy and blaim the huge cuts on conservative intransiance. If the conservatives win they will opt to tax the middle class and preserve defense spending. It is the same old fight but we will see a resolution one way or another just after the first of the year. The republicans are demanding the white house to innumerate the exact amounts of cuts but I think the issue is to complex to have much impact before the election. The US electorate is not going to paw through stacks of numbers before they vote. We will vote as blindly and superfically as ever.
      So I invite your imput on this highly complex and important topic. I may not be right but this is how I see it. Bill
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2012
        Bill, it looks like the candidates and the electorate who watch the debates are going to have to do their homework on this one. Both sides are blaming the other for failing to pass the budget which resulted in the automatic sequestration. I think the candidate who can demonstrate how the sequestration is less desirable than a bi-partisan compromise on strategic rather than block cuts, while amplifying the philosophy of the other party, will be successful. Congress has not only been irresponsible on economic issues, they're abysmally failing to attract the younger generation to care about government. As the MSNBC advert runs, if the voter pool is reduced, those who don't vote are 'voting' for the very agenda which aims to have as little interference and opposition as possible. If anything I see this as a long term scheme: the more apathy and cynicism, the easier fascism flourishes.

        > The squabbling congress has painted itself in a corner. Early next Jan big cuts will go into effect for federal agencies. These cuts are both military and domestic. These are draconian cuts and money will be sequestered away from federal agencies unless the congress can agree on spending cuts and tax increases of greater magnitude than the required cuts.
        > The election comes before the cuts and republicans know the cuts will gut defense spending and destroy the budgets of the military industrial complex.Obama and the Democrats can see a double wammey to conservative interests if they can win the eletion and gut defense spending. It is high speed, high stakes chicken and the right will bluff and bluster until the election. If they lose they will have to make a deal or become a minority for the forseable future.
        > If the dems win they may elect to let the process kill the old southern strategy and blaim the huge cuts on conservative intransiance. If the conservatives win they will opt to tax the middle class and preserve defense spending. It is the same old fight but we will see a resolution one way or another just after the first of the year. The republicans are demanding the white house to innumerate the exact amounts of cuts but I think the issue is to complex to have much impact before the election. The US electorate is not going to paw through stacks of numbers before they vote. We will vote as blindly and superfically as ever.
        > So I invite your imput on this highly complex and important topic. I may not be right but this is how I see it. Bill

      • bhvwd
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2012