Re: No god inhabits a city.

  • William
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012

      > Yes, there are only so many planks we can rip out of the platform and have it support a large number of voters. I'm sure you and I would disagree on which ones to tear out, but we understand what's at stake. I'm still very concerned about voter disenfranchisement led by Republicans. Our country needs weekend election days or longer hours and extended early voting in order to accommodate the number of voters who stay away due to long lines. Fortunately Wisconsin's photo ID law was overturned. We also need more political parties to involve younger folks and spending limits. Off my soapbox for today . . .
      >
      > Mary
      >Mary, the spending limits debate was settled by the right wing court. They said that money buys free speach. When Obama gets his chance he should pack the court with liberals who can decide the issue as it will be seen in some form in the future. Plans made over generations rule these matters not just legislators in the present.
      Today I spoke with a lobbiest who shows me there is a shadow authority that oversees this long term governmental authority. He explained to me how a loser executive official was to be rehabilitated as his name recognition still gave him a value. Most people never see any of this behind the scenes planning and such displays like conventions are side shows designed to reward the base . He claims three percent of unaligned voters will decide this election and identifying and reaching them is the real business of the serious politicians. He said he was trying to identify which of his children might be a stand up politician. I told him to pick the best looking one and he grimmaced before he agreed with me.
      The deep operatives speak in code and ask questions that seem innocuous but get at deep loyalties and philosophical drives. Since I am on the way out I answered in a very open manner and would have said more but outsiders arrived. He ended by saying he would be getting back with me as we had further business. I hope so because like I said politics is knife fighting and I feel my blade still has temper.The gross,front people like the Koch Bros. are the out front power brokers but the real tacticians are not worried about their own comfort , they are only comfortable when their long term plans carry the day. Bill

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012
        Very interesting but most likely you won't be able to share who this cabal is or what their long term plans are. I spent a decade following esoteric trails only to conclude even if I uncovered such agendas, I wouldn't be able to talk about it anyway. Against what principle could I measure their worth?

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 8, 2012

          > Very interesting but most likely you won't be able to share who this cabal is or what their long term plans are. I spent a decade following esoteric trails only to conclude even if I uncovered such agendas, I wouldn't be able to talk about it anyway. Against what principle could I measure their worth?
          >
          > Mary
          > Mary, at some point politics becomes private. Not illegal but between individuals, not in open meetings. It is not illegal to talk about politics and some know much more than others. If you want to keep sources you must protect their identity. The internet has made us all reporters and I like that. If we report truthful things we get read if we have little credance our words are forgotten. I related that last post as an exposure of process. Back channel information is always flowing and in a democracy that seems most useful. Now if the information is classified it becomes another matter. None of the things I spoke of were classified and some of it has been already reported in the printed press. Sometimes lobbiests leak results of their internal polling. That can be a heads up to upcoming events and I relate such things and do not reveal who gave me the information. Sometimes people from the other side tell me things and sometimes I pass them on. Of course I am most suspect of such gifts but I have seen such things turn out to be true. Disinformation ,lies, are another matter and there is plenty of that out there.I try to delete that stuff. In the Boswell/Latham race, Boswell is running an add that exposes a Latham family bank. The bank took tarp funds but Latham voted against TARP. It was millions of dollars and is effective in painting Latham a hypocrite. It is a great ad and is affecting poll numbers. We will be seeing it again and again. It is an exposure of true facts and numbers and Boswell is known for playing hard ball. He was an army officer and at over seventy disarmed an intruder in his own home. I find that impressive and would not want to be running against the Col.It goes to character as Lathams conduct also does.In this case I think the public is well served by the negative adds.
          I am sure in your recall fight many unsavory facts came out and You might consider relating them here. Here we saw it as union busting but that was just the tip of the controversy. For the amount of heat generated and money spent something very big must have been at stake. Bill

          > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" <josephson45r@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Yes, there are only so many planks we can rip out of the platform and have it support a large number of voters. I'm sure you and I would disagree on which ones to tear out, but we understand what's at stake. I'm still very concerned about voter disenfranchisement led by Republicans. Our country needs weekend election days or longer hours and extended early voting in order to accommodate the number of voters who stay away due to long lines. Fortunately Wisconsin's photo ID law was overturned. We also need more political parties to involve younger folks and spending limits. Off my soapbox for today . . .
          > > >
          > > > Mary
          > > >Mary, the spending limits debate was settled by the right wing court. They said that money buys free speach. When Obama gets his chance he should pack the court with liberals who can decide the issue as it will be seen in some form in the future. Plans made over generations rule these matters not just legislators in the present.
          > > Today I spoke with a lobbiest who shows me there is a shadow authority that oversees this long term governmental authority. He explained to me how a loser executive official was to be rehabilitated as his name recognition still gave him a value. Most people never see any of this behind the scenes planning and such displays like conventions are side shows designed to reward the base . He claims three percent of unaligned voters will decide this election and identifying and reaching them is the real business of the serious politicians. He said he was trying to identify which of his children might be a stand up politician. I told him to pick the best looking one and he grimmaced before he agreed with me.
          > > The deep operatives speak in code and ask questions that seem innocuous but get at deep loyalties and philosophical drives. Since I am on the way out I answered in a very open manner and would have said more but outsiders arrived. He ended by saying he would be getting back with me as we had further business. I hope so because like I said politics is knife fighting and I feel my blade still has temper.The gross,front people like the Koch Bros. are the out front power brokers but the real tacticians are not worried about their own comfort , they are only comfortable when their long term plans carry the day. Bill

        • irvhal
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 8, 2012
            Bill,

            Not long ago, in a burst of Nietzschian contrariness, you were taunting leftists here with tales of your Hummer, your gun collection and your oil company stocks. Now, awash in campaign ads and propaganda, you seem incurably smitten with our current commander-in-chief and ruling party. I detect a bite of nostalgia from your Catholic youth, when another abstractly utopian, but narcisstic and amoral, clique (though of Irish and Massachusetts persuasion) were ascendant. But this too shall pass, and I'll continue to look forward to your comments.

            All the best,

            Irvin

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 8, 2012
              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "irvhal" <i99hj@...> wrote:

              > Bill,
              >
              > Not long ago, in a burst of Nietzschian contrariness, you were taunting leftists here with tales of your Hummer, your gun collection and your oil company stocks. Now, awash in campaign ads and propaganda, you seem incurably smitten with our current commander-in-chief and ruling party. I detect a bite of nostalgia from your Catholic youth, when another abstractly utopian, but narcisstic and amoral, clique (though of Irish and Massachusetts persuasion) were ascendant. But this too shall pass, and I'll continue to look forward to your comments.
              >
              > All the best,
              >
              > Irvin
              > Irvin,time and tides . I still have a gun collection,a Hummer and oil stocks. I have never shot anyone, squashed anyone with the Hummer or cheered an environmental disaster. I have had a great time with these legal toys and persuits and sticking it to the lefties here really browned their shorts.
              I look at the alternative to Obama and I see little other course to follow. Just as Clinton did business with Gingerich I played the game with the right. At the time when the tree huggers were screaming about global warming I thought it important to support US energy companies . I still do and know it will be years before we stop burning hydrocarbons. I have always said reduce population and up fuel efficiency and we are beginning to head that direction.
              As to the guns, people around here know how to handle guns and there are few fuck ups. Now on the south side of Chicago that is not the case and I understand Rahm Emmanual has all but initiated marshal law to combat the problem. I support him . He is a tough guy ,just what that place needs. Rather than risk carring a weapon I wear a gun hat and most fools get the point. I consider a conceiled carry a heavy responsibility and would not go there in the present circumstances.
              I boycotted BP for their failure besides it gave my stocks a greater market share. Now I will watch the IOWA, iowa state game. Ill do it at home where only I have a gun. No cyclones need apply. Bill

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 10, 2012
                What transpired here was happening in several other states simultaneously. It was orchestrated at least by the Koch brothers and part of a long term agenda to trim budgets at the expense of average workers, while further enhancing those vested corporations. Of course this agenda was not completely articulated during Walkers 2010 campaign, and this what many voters were concerned about. I think the recall campaign overestimated the labor demographic; not that many workers are in unions any more, and many are upset with nonperforming schools. The Walker administration and republican legislators turned down federal mass transit grants, enacted voter photo ID requirements (which were overturned as unconstitutional in Wisconsin), overturned state laws to make it easier for women to sue for workplace discrimination, refuses to begin setting up insurance pools per the Affordable Health Care Act, and purposely doesn't fill quotas for eligible Medicaid recipients. Schools are closed, class room size increased, vouchers for charter schools increased; this after the teachers unions conceded larger contribution for health and pension benefits. It's all part of their winner take all mentality and has ruined our state's progressive tradition and poisoned either side for any possible spirit of compromise.

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 10, 2012

                  > What transpired here was happening in several other states simultaneously. It was orchestrated at least by the Koch brothers and part of a long term agenda to trim budgets at the expense of average workers, while further enhancing those vested corporations. Of course this agenda was not completely articulated during Walkers 2010 campaign, and this what many voters were concerned about. I think the recall campaign overestimated the labor demographic; not that many workers are in unions any more, and many are upset with nonperforming schools. The Walker administration and republican legislators turned down federal mass transit grants, enacted voter photo ID requirements (which were overturned as unconstitutional in Wisconsin), overturned state laws to make it easier for women to sue for workplace discrimination, refuses to begin setting up insurance pools per the Affordable Health Care Act, and purposely doesn't fill quotas for eligible Medicaid recipients. Schools are closed, class room size increased, vouchers for charter schools increased; this after the teachers unions conceded larger contribution for health and pension benefits. It's all part of their winner take all mentality and has ruined our state's progressive tradition and poisoned either side for any possible spirit of compromise.
                  >
                  > Mary
                  > Mary, thank you that is needed information as the bounce from the convention has to be maintained until the election. The congress ia a complete loser and just wants to go home and campaign. Is there any way you can beat Walker?
                  The SEAL book gave a militarist like myself something to savor. I want a big miliatry cut but it has to be the right things cut. The huge maneuver devisions,built to fight Warsaw pact in Europe have to go. They are outmoded and useless. We need to grow Special Warfare units and remain ready to hit fast and hard,anywhere. The old brass hats want major ships of the line and armour divisions. We need light infantry,rangers ,green berets and seals. We need more drones and stealth delivery systems. I understand we killed another AlQueda leader and those are our enemies not Syria or even Iran. If we cut back those huge conventional forces we need never again give a fool like Bush a chance to start a useless war. The savings in this country could make this place somewhere the people could thrive. That is why I wrote about sequestration because it seems the only way to cut defense to the levels we need. The saudi we let out of Getmo has been killed in Yemen. He sneaked out of Saudi and got what he deserved. We would never have got him with traditional forces and of course he should never have been let go. Our spec war people should be trained to kill and then identify such combatants. We are at war with Alqueda and bringing them back for trial is bad policy. Spec war warriors do not have the luxury of the old Geneva convention. Those rules of engagement ,like the equiptment are of another age.That should be part of the next wave of change. Bill

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 10, 2012

                    Is there any way you can beat Walker?

                    Bill, unfortunately, though he was elected in 2010 and didn't take office officially until January 2011, we had to wait until this year before mounting and losing the recall. He's not up for election for another two years. Fortunately, the Democrats won the state senate in a more recent election. Some balance restored.

                    I also forgot to mention that one of the Republicans' announced goals during the campaign was easing environmental restrictions. At the time, however, nobody knew the Kochs were behind the much of this agenda. However, the senate voted against a new iron ore mine which promised new jobs, but at the price of easing pollution protections.