Stand for the National Anthem?

  • rwr
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2012
      Stand for the National Anthem?

      [ Tell me something Merlin Richard, do you stand for the National
      Anthem? ]

      I wish you had not asked that one. As you may well know I am a staunch
      anti capitalist and a staunch had core republican and democrat. Up until
      the age of fifty I never stood up when they played that, let alone sung
      it with them, I would just sit through it in silence thinking about
      better things, as a few others do. Also, given the chance I would scrap
      that national anthem and use a different one. Probably pinch the Welsh
      one. The French one is good too. Or maybe something like Jerusalem or
      some other English tune; and not that German one. However on the few
      occasions where I have been since over the age of about fifty when they
      have played it (not many places or times) I have stood up in silence
      simply in order not to upset anybody, for so many do feel so patriotic.
      I can well see why they do, for there are many things that this small
      nation can be proud of, but a monarchy and the antiquated class system
      and political structure ain't one of them. I am not a patriot or a
      flag waver. Never was and never will be. But each nation does have the
      things which folks can be proud of. I do love the physical country and
      the freedom I have had and the health service, and its way of fighting
      for the underdog and individualism; and it does have a long history of
      struggle for the last two thousand years. A bit longer than the
      diabolical Third Reich lasted. There is no place else I would want to
      live. It has been good; and the climate also suited me. I feel Celtic to
      the core and a part of this land. But I would drastically change it
      given the chance. Every man can be a king and every woman a queen. And
      many are. We do not need any symbolic icon or a written constitution;
      and most Britons do not do what they are told except in times of
      National Defence, which I do admire. Freedom ! Strange isn't it, for
      I would stand for any nations anthem out of respect, but not this one.
      Tis like a love hate relationship. Hard to explain; you just have to
      FEEL it.

      Merlin of Exmoor