Associated with something which never happened?

  • rwr
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2012
      Associated with something which never happened?

      [ I know well enough that a piece of music becomes associated with a
      memory of something which happened in our past, but how can a piece of
      music be associated with something which never happened? You say that
      some pieces of music bring to mind some events in your novel, but that
      is fiction and it never happened. So how can a music link be connected
      to that? ]

      Have you ever written a novel? Try it and find out. Telling you will
      not prove it. So it IS associated with something which happened –
      the writing of that chapter. You DID IT. It happened. But what you are
      writing is like you are there living it or watching it happen in your
      mind's eye. So IT DID happen.

      I invariably have music playing in the background when writing, and
      sometimes play the same piece over and over again. In so doing I
      discovered that the tune or song DOES becomes linked with what you are
      writing about. A subconscious link is established. Years later when you
      hear that piece of music the events of that chapter pop into one's
      mind. But it has to be the same version of that tune, the same band or
      singer or orchestra. It is about SOUND again; the Power of Sound. USE
      IT. It IS natural enough. It also happens when you are reading a book.
      I read a book in 1962 and was playing a tune over and over again while
      reading it. Now when I hear it then both that time and the story I was
      reading are the first thing that come to mind. Crystal clear just like
      it was at the time. It never fails. It is a permanent link and
      connection. Both music and smells have always been big link makers for
      me and associated with what was going on at that time. Don't you? I
      cannot walk past a lilac bush without being transported back to the
      railway line in London during the war; just as though I was there at the
      time – in memory of course not a literal time shift :- )) But this
      has never not happened. Does it not happen to you like that? For
      example whenever I hear the first part of the Equinoxe electronic music
      I am straight back to chapter two of the novel – every time :- )
      Tis fun too. Do it and find out. Music is VERY powerful. Memories have
      to be linked to something you know. Study yourself.

      rwr