Defining an Enemy?

  • rwr
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2012
      Defining an Enemy?

      [ How would you define an enemy? If two people share the same enemy
      would that make them friends or allies? Who would you consider to be an
      enemy? ]

      I would define an enemy as somebody, or a group of people, who wish to
      do you harm in some way, or to bump you off, or take that which is
      yours, etc. If two people share a common enemy that does not make them
      friends or allies, they might be a worse enemy than the other mob. But
      it might. It depends of the circumstances and intentions doesn't it.
      Personally I have never had any enemies that I am aware of. I had a few
      silly death threats but they never tried to put it into effect. I have
      met many people who I did not like one little bit but that does not make
      them an enemy and they have never tried harming me. So I don't have any
      enemies. Nor fiends for that matter, for they are all dead now :- ))) I
      have a few colleagues who try to do something that I have tried to do;
      so that is something in common.

      rwr

    • rwr
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2012
        Re: [Psychognosis_Archive] Defining an Enemy?
        Sharing a common threat does not make one a friend nor an ally. Being a
        friend, ally, or even an enemy is based not upon what you might think
        but upon what you do. You know what another is based upon his deeds not
        his words or intents. Commonality of interest, as they say, can make for
        strange bed fellows. During WWII mutual aid agreements were forged
        between various parties who entered into them for agendas based more
        upon what it would do for them as individual countries than it was for
        the benefit of the effected populations as a whole. Certain members of
        these mutual aid agreements except for the probable harm that the shared
        threat could cause upon each individual country would not have given
        even cursory consideration to making an agreement of any kind with the
        other members of the "pact".

        Commonality of interests does not make one a friend, ally or even an
        enemy. That is rooted far deeper into the psyche than merely commonality
        of interest.

        Asa

      • rwr
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2012
          Re: Defining an Enemy?

          Indeed so. But the question was put more in the personal tone than a
          communal, group or nation one. Leastwise that is how I took it to be.
          Yes, I have some idea of what went on during the war, and why, but on
          the personal level I have never encountered anyone who tried to do me
          any harm personally, hence I know of no personal enemies as such. Never
          having ever joined any groups or organisations, other than a few chess
          clubs and an archery group, nobody tried to harm us :- ) As for those
          who might want to harm the United Kingdom then I am not the United
          Kingdom, I am just me :- ))) I wonder if there are or ever have been any
          nations who do not have their enemies. I doubt it :- ) But in all this
          time, and on the personal level, nobody has ever tried to prevent me
          from doing what I wanted to do. Not yet anyway. Nice to hear from you,
          hope you are keeping well. Things are quieting down very much here now.

          Dick