Re: Digest Number 125

  • Randy M. Zeitman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2000
      >What about millions of years ago when there were no people at all, and no
      >beliefs about the shape of the earth. What shape was the Earth then? Or
      >does the question make no sense?
      >
      >Are there only truths when there exists perspectives for whom they are true?

      These are the kinds of questions that help demonstrate the crux of
      misunderstanding about the distinctions of existentialism.

      When someone asks me, in the present, to say what existed in the past (the
      earth was flat/round) is a red herring, a ruse. (sp?)

      It's a red herring because what I think existed in the past has nothing to
      do in the past...it's my present-day-observation of what was in the past.
      Was the earth flat in 1300?,,,sure was for most people! But if you ask me
      'are you telling my the earth suddenly changed shape?' or say 'it obviously
      wasn't, it was always round' my reply is that's your present day false
      assumption that
      what-you-think-exists-now-for-you-must-have-existed-always-and-is-therefore-a-fa
      ct.

      This is the nature of existentialism...what you think exists can't be
      distinguished from what really might exist. (And don't ask me how I might
      feek if I was aborted..sheesh!)

      Signature......
      Is this the millennium we find life out there? Help find out!...
      http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/