Philosophy

  • Rajiv Pande
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 7, 2000
      Dear Delia,
      Thanks for the excellent quote.
      Delia, I think if you are looking for a systematic study of philosophy, you actually mean a systematic study of philosophers, or of groups of philosophers forming "isms" like existentialism etc.
      That which has already been said and done in the past is probably not as important as what is being said and done today, at this very hour, and this very second. We are talking about the presence of philosophy, the philosophical presence, the life we live and the thoughts we encounter every conscious minute. If the past influences the present, then it is worth studying that influence. If the influence of existentialism is affecting my life, then I have to know the origins of this and decide whether to flow with it or to swim against its current. If the influence of Descartes's Mind Frame is still having its effect today, we need to study Descartes.
      Delia, naming a mind frame after a philosopher is like calling an island Hawaii. As humans it is our job, to see if this island still exists, existed but sank under the ocean, or was merely a figment of a drunken sailor's imagination.
      Regards
      Rajiv

      [This message contained attachments]
    • Exist List Moderator
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 18, 2003
        Be sure to return discussions to Continental philosophy... off-topic
        discussions should not dominate the group, though I certainly encourage
        people to keep this a community forum as much as a philosophy group.

        Existentialism, Phenomenology, Continental Philosophy -- those are our
        primary topics in this group. Those are philosophical schools of
        personal observation and experience. Unlike Analytical Philosophy (the
        U.K. and America primarily), Continental Philosophies are less
        concerned with science and exact observation than they are with what
        the individual experiences and feels.

        While we are busy deconstructing life, the Continental schools are
        suggesting we live life.

        Of course, there is the paradox Jaspers noted: even discussing
        philosophy contradicts the notion of living actively and enjoying life
        as it is.

        - C. S. Wyatt
        that I shall be.
        http://www.tameri.com
      • Joanne
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 22, 2003
          <existlist1@t...> wrote:

          > While we are busy deconstructing life, the Continental schools are
          > suggesting we live life.
          >
          > Of course, there is the paradox Jaspers noted: even discussing
          > philosophy contradicts the notion of living actively and enjoying
          life
          > as it is.
          -------------------
          No it doesn't. We live every second until the body can no longer hold
          itself together as a viable organism. What we do in between
          conception and death is living, whether we are intrepid scholars
          preoccupied with Kantian universals, or strippers wiggling a piece of
          ass at an otherwise decorous nightclub.

          What you are trying to distinguish is how we experience sensation,
          which is irrelevant: I cannot strip tease because I have limited
          motor function and cannot walk, but I know when I'm going to have a
          bowel movement in my wheelchair due to lack of control, and will have
          to clean it up.

          Same difference. It is living. An oogled buttock, a passage of
          excrement in the improper recepticle.

          Joanne
        • Joanne
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 22, 2003
            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Joanne" <jozanny@y...> wrote:
            > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Exist List Moderator
            > <existlist1@t...> wrote:

            > Same difference. It is living. An oogled buttock, a passage of
            > excrement in the improper recepticle.
            >
            > Joanne
            --------
            The absurdity comes into it not because of existence, but the self-
            awareness of existence. Consciousness is a biological complexity
            which may be an inevitable evolutionary fluke which isn't necessary
            for life, this unique fashion in which matter organized, but at the
            moment, we're the creatures stuck with it for brief intervals.

            It makes no quantitative difference whether I climb Everest or sleep
            in the street. I experience the condition of each. No one has proven
            this matters beyond point of cessation
          • vickieyoungmays
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
              I am new here, but I was looking forward to discussing one of my greatest loves;
              pholosophy. But there is too much crazy off topic banter. Can we agree on a subject
              or perhaps something to read and have a nice discussion. Anyone have any
              suggetions?

              I would love to tackle the intro to Being and TIme

              I hope I have not offended anyone. I am looking forward to colorful conversations
              regarding existential thought.

              Best Wishes-
              Vickie
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
                Vickie,

                One woman's off-topic banter is another man's subjectivity. For
                years I immersed myself in the works of Kierkegaard and Nietzsche,
                and struggled at the same time to make my way in the world, humanly,
                economically, and in relation to the political realms, all that
                horror and sham and false hope mixed with earnest effort. Not good
                to dwell on what no human being can face for long. George Walton
                states the case starkly now and again, and each philosopher here has
                a unique perspective. Sometimes good argument and progress arise
                from serendipity. The planned approach is favoured by bureaucratic
                systems, and done well can yield excellent results. I simply don't
                trust it beyond a particular scale of organisation. That's my
                radical democratic liberal heritage coming out.
                So whilst I am myself a woman, a certain form of 'identification'
                with these and other 'biologically dead' thinkers informs my
                subjectivity, and this masculinity of approach in my philosophising
                has led some ignorantly to attempt Freudian-style analysis of what I
                am. My own interpretation of what scientifically is named pathology
                allows for observaton of socio-political factors, which always
                include economics. Therefore the panoply of concepts like 'penis-
                envy', 'castration complex', and so on, which have seemed to form a
                spooky backdrop to interchanges here, as a few lurking members
                apparently bombard the moderator and listowner with complaints, is
                one which has aroused in me high impatience. Now I've got the hang
                of things, so to speak, any subsequent battles involving my posts
                can soon be defused, by the combination of silence, reasoned
                argument, and humour which are one's only defences in these
                situations. What tack Nolan will take I do not know. I simply wish
                to welcome him here and offer respectful help in staying within the
                posted rules. There is continuing disagreement among us as to what
                constitutes existential philosophy. If it weren't so, the list
                might have to close down for lack of interest ...
                Speaking for myself, I lack detailed scientific knowledge, and avoid
                engagement with scientific-existential mixes on the principle that I
                lack the requisite expertise and am sceptical of the linkage ... as
                was Kierkegaard; in fact, that's putting it mildly. I have spent a
                year trying to stay on my feet, so as to speak to the purpose. I
                intend to continue. With many threads we weave our tapestry.

                Louise

                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "vickieyoungmays"
                <vickieyoungmays@y...> wrote:

                > I am new here, but I was looking forward to discussing one of my
                greatest loves;
                > pholosophy. But there is too much crazy off topic banter. Can we
                agree on a subject
                > or perhaps something to read and have a nice discussion. Anyone
                have any
                > suggetions?
                >
                > I would love to tackle the intro to Being and TIme
                >
                > I hope I have not offended anyone. I am looking forward to
                colorful conversations
                > regarding existential thought.
                >
                > Best Wishes-
                > Vickie
              • Susan Schnelbach
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
                  Be patient with the group, Vickie. They don't always stay on topic, but
                  they do eventually get back to it. Thanks for participating.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
                    Never goes away. In most ancient guise, mineral, unhurt by
                    disregard. The younger gods, goddesses, iconic animals, may be prone
                    to slight. Anyway, it's all light. Burdens an illusion. Easy to say
                    if all we do is say. Human beings get offended by saying. Is it any
                    wonder if we don't proceed to communication. I know now I'm speaking
                    to myself. Doesn't hurt that much. There are other realities, and
                    imaginations, that hurt, including the body, of course. It's stopped
                    raining. Time changes all things. Time is love. I've decided to get
                    into cliches. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Do the things that
                    aren't illegal. Stay free, help the imprisoned. More slogans. One
                    day, we might form a party. Stories are lies, facts are partial,
                    images bring endless trouble. I like truth. No need to believe.
                    Just think it over.

                    Louise
                  • dick.richardson@ymail.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 1, 2009
                      Philosophy

                      Philosophy is NOT about reading books, nor inventing ideas and then
                      letting them rip on to the world. It is about studying yourself for many
                      years (psychology) and the world (physics and phenomenology) and then
                      writing your own books and essays of your life understanding thus far.
                      And folks can do with that what they will; for they are not all at the
                      same place at the same time in the learning process; which is
                      evolutionary. Folks who pick up a few philosophy books who call
                      themselves philosophers are the biggest joke on earth.

                      If one wants to study the history of human understanding and philosophy
                      in purely academic terms without getting involved in writing your own
                      (because it is an evolutionary process) then begin with Plato (or
                      earlier) and then work forward, one step at a time. And there is no
                      damned point in writing what has already been written by somebody. Even
                      if just reading then one day something may hit you and you know damn
                      well that you can add something new to that – then go for it; for
                      that is what philosophy IS. But don't waste your time and effort on
                      inventing the wheel, for it has been done.