Re: nescism & truth

  • Delia Friedberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2000
      Sam, i hope you don't expect from me a contribution to epistemology!
      Look what i found on "Phenomenalism" ( without connection to what i think on the matter; just as an exemple of answer) in Britanica : "To talk about any existent object is thus to talk about a collection of perceivable features localized in a particular portion of space-time. Hence, what one means by a tomato is something that in principle must be perceivable. Accordingly, to say that a tomato exists is either to describe a collection of properties that an observer is actually perceiving or a collection that such an observer would perceive under certain specified conditions. In principle, everything that exists is perceivable. Once it is understood that objects are merely sets of properties and that such collections of properties are in principle , always perceivable, the notion that there is some unbridgeable gap between people's perceptual evidence and existence of an object is just a mistake, a confusion between the concepts of actual being perceived and of being percervable.
      ....[critics from the realist side] "Phenomenalism, they contend, has the implication that, if no perceivers existed , then the world would contain no objects; and, if this a consequence of the view, then it is surely inconsistent both with what ordinary persons believe and with the known scientific facts that all sort of objects existed in the universe long before there were any perceivers. But its supporters deny that phenomenalism carries such an implication, and the debate about its merits remains unresolved."
      Regarding myself, i do believe in science in a critical way. There are limits, i think, to knowledge and these limits are replaced by faith.
      i am craving for a systematic study of philosophy.
      delia