If anyone ever asks you

  • merlinofexmoor
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2012
      If anyone ever asks you

      If anyone ever asks you if there is anything which is good and
      worthwhile about being old and getting near on helpless, then tell them
      yes there is, for it is true; and it is this.

      When the chips are down and the cards are on the table and you cannot do
      anything for anybody and nobody needs you, and you have nothing to give
      them; then you know who your friends are. Probably for the first time
      ever, for absolute certainty. A wonderful lesson to learn, and even if
      it requires not the best of times to learn it. For there is no
      possibility of doubt or questioning it. Never too old to learn something
      eh. And to have but one, or a few of them, then one is fortunate indeed.

      And where are all the so called friends in times of need when push comes
      to shove? Ppphhhtt:>! Gone with the wind, which is all they ever were.

      Somebody once asked me as to why anybody should care about anything. But
      I don't know everybody, and maybe some don't. I have only ever
      been one person. So I know that this one has cared about many things.
      And it makes you do things. But why? I don't know why, it is a
      mystery. I don't even know why I do and did. But it is a good reason
      to live. Some people tell me that there are no mysteries, I guess they
      think I have just come up the Thames on a bike. But if anybody does not
      care about anything but themselves, then they are already as good as
      dead.

      rwr