The London Blitz and Addenda

  • merlinofexmoor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
      The London Blitz and Addenda

      [ St Pauls was still standing. The blitz is recounted as a day of
      incendary attack by the Luftwaffa. Goering was a ww1 ace who became Air
      Marshall of Hitlers Germany. He understood incendary air war. It was a
      new dicipline and Goering was an early master. Goering orchestrated the
      blitz which some say lasted six months and some say lasted only one
      night. I would defer to our survivor, Merlin. So St Pauls was an
      archetectural fraude with a wooden dome. Goerings raid never had its
      secound day wave arrive. Grim William. USA. ]

      It always amazes me as to how much people know about the war and the
      London Blitz when they were not even there. Or assume that they do.
      Probably not even alive then. Just as they know that the things which I
      talk and write about and describe in detail don't exist. It is not worth
      conversing with them. It was fascinating to walk around London with a
      camera when St Pauls was like an island standing amid rubble. I still
      have some of those old black and white snaps. So, the blitz only lasted
      one night did it? Funny then that all my relations lived there and they
      all said it lasted seventy days and nights; and that we got bombed out
      on the second night. :- )) Maybe we did not get bombed out at all, maybe
      I and my kin don't exist. Perhaps the island of Britain was an
      hallucination. Goring was after all a Morphine addict. Perhaps Hitler
      too hallucinated a tiny island which he could not beat. Night night Grim
      William, sweet dreams. rwr

      Addenda: Why do so many people, and you among them Grim William, talk
      so much about things which they don't know because they did not live
      through them? It is neither clever, funny, nor taken seriously.

      In actual fact I do not talk and write much about the seventy days and
      nights of the London Blitz, for I was not there for most of it. Neither
      was my Father or my Mother there. But the rest of the family were. Only
      one of the immediate family died during the war, and he died at El
      Alemein in North Africa. He was not killed he died of Malaria. He was
      an artist and a draughtsman. He helped design the Sunderland Flying
      Boat, One other did pick up some shrapnel in his arm the night before
      we were bombed out, when the shelter in the back garden yard which we
      were supposed to have been in got a direct hit; and which they all
      claimed that to be the first night of the Blitz.

      But after the second night we had no place to live, no food, no clothes.
      So, somebody whom my father knew in Bishops Lydeard in Somerset took us
      in. That is where my first memories kick in when I was two and a bit.
      But by the time I and my mother went back to London a few months later
      the actual Blitz was over. I was also hard by to Plymouth when that got
      blown up, and I remember that one too. But that too was before we came
      back to London and I spent the rest of the war there with my mother in
      Tottenham. Hard by to where we were bombed out during the Blitz at
      Tottenham Hale. I left London when I was seventeen; by choice. Did live
      there for one year when I came out of the army and worked for Scotland
      Yard, but the hills were a-calling me and I was home sick for the moors.
      Plus my wife and child were there. She hated London and went straight
      back to North Devon. I could not for I had no place to live there and no
      job there. So I had things to sort out.

      But when I got back to London I started exploring the place and had a
      lot of fun. I got to know London so well that I was showing Yanks around
      for a few bob to buy some food for the next day. I also started taking
      pictures of the place, all over the City and the West End. But you know
      better of course, so forget it all. Life here isn't about beliefs
      and opinions you know. It is about what one lived and what one did with
      it. But never mind eh. I don't communicate any more. It isn't
      worth it. Except in a few very rare cases.

      NB. Britain did not win the war, (the world at large did) but it
      survived Hitters mob. But Britain did not survive the mass immigration
      which came after the war during the mid fifties. It isn't British
      any more. I don't care. But I still love the physical land and
      scenery. Guess it is in my blood and bones. But I am not my blood and
      bones which are on loan. Do you know what you are when all that has
      gone? Ahh, never mind. Go write your own book. I wonder how many will
      read it. No, come to think of it I don't even wonder that. But I do
      wonder as to why you keep saying what people lived through isn't so.
      But I don't care about that either. It is true enough however that
      if one never says anything and never writes anything about their life
      then they are not putting their head on the block for fools to chop it
      off. And I don't care about that either. They are welcome to come
      here and chop my head off. If they have the guts to try it. And if they
      succeeded then it would save one from getting very old and becoming
      useless and totally dependent on other people, and who have their life
      to live anyway. A lifetime here is not for wasting, let alone wasting it
      on trivia. Good night Irene, you make a lot of noise but with no action.

      Dick Richardson
      Dubbed Merlin of Exmoor – by Yanks. Not me. Don't care about
      that either, it was fun. Not all Yanks are like you grim William. Thank
      the good lud Fuck.

    • William
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "merlinofexmoor" <merlinofexmoor@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > to live anyway. A lifetime here is not for wasting, let alone wasting it
        > on trivia. Good night Irene, you make a lot of noise but with no action.
        >
        > Dick Richardson
        > Dubbed Merlin of Exmoor – by Yanks. Not me. Don't care about
        > that either, it was fun. Not all Yanks are like you grim William. Thank
        > the good lud Fuck.
        >
        > Well it certainly seems someone got up on the wrong side of the bed. I was relating the blitz story from a TV documentary . I claim no special knowledge of the matter and am interested in the matter because you have some special knowledge of the matter. So do not ball me out for attempting to be conversational. I really do not care how long it lasted s it will always be that long until someone changes the story. No one cares enough to rewrite the story so be it. Bill

      • merlinofexmoor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
          So, you know everybody now do you and what they are all interested in :-
          ))) You don't make conversation lad, you kill it. So, all the thousands
          of people who I have known who are interested in it are not real people
          then eh? And do you expect people to take you seriously? Why not stick
          with dentistry and leave writing alone. It ain't your ball park lad. If
          ever you do write then write about something which you have known by
          living through it.
          rwr

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "merlinofexmoor" <merlinofexmoor@...> wrote:

            > So, you know everybody now do you and what they are all interested in :-
            > ))) You don't make conversation lad, you kill it. So, all the thousands
            > of people who I have known who are interested in it are not real people
            > then eh? And do you expect people to take you seriously? Why not stick
            > with dentistry and leave writing alone. It ain't your ball park lad. If
            > ever you do write then write about something which you have known by
            > living through it.
            > rwr

            > No one cares enough to rewrite the story so be it. Bill
            >
            > The seriousness is draining from my life, I like the superficial ,the simple and those things that make me happy. Being balled out by some ancient crumudgeon is not in that class of experiences. So you rattle on about your hallucinations and I will write what the hell I want. it is really no longer of your province. Bill

          • merlinofexmoor
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2012
              This forum never was my province :- ) It was simply an accessible tool
              to use. So I used it. It worked. Pragmatist you see William. As for my
              hallucinations then I have never had one. Have you? If so what are
              they like? Was it nice or not so nice? Many people have written to me
              over the years and told me about their drug related experiences. But I
              have never known anything like that and never took drugs. Have you? If
              so what was that like, nice or not so nice? I wonder why they take
              drugs. Strange thing to do eh. Perhaps they were looking for kicks.