When Hermann Goering came calling

  • William
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2012
      St Pauls was still standing. The blitz is recounted as a day of incendary attack by the Luftwaffa. Goering was a ww1 ace who became Air Marshall of Hitlers Germany. He understood incendary air war. It was a new dicipline and Goering was an early master. Goering orchestrated the blitz which some say lasted six months and some say lasted only one night. I would defer to our survivor, Merlin.
      The fire storm warriors were a swashbuckling lot who specialsed in burning cities. It all ended in Japan when Curtiss LeMay created his masterpiece at the hands of Col Tibbets who I have met more than once. Tibbits dropped the first atomic bomb who would not return to invade Japan. They wisely quit.
      I think Hermann took cynade but I hope he was cremated. Le May was an extremist of destruction that fire bombed Tokyo. I think it was the better thing to do but I was raised by WW2 veterins who had no desire to invade the japanese home islands.
      So St Pauls was an archetectural fraude with a wooden dome. Goerings raid never had its secound day wave arrive. The plan was to burn London and only a Kamakasi wind saved the city. Each side in that war derserved a break. Bill
    • merlinofexmoor
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2012
        It always amazes me as to how much people know about the war and the
        London Blitz when they were not even there. Or assume that they do.
        Probably not even alive then. Just as they know that the things which I
        talk and write about and describe in detail don't exist. It is not
        worth conversing with them. It was fascinating to walk around London
        with a camera when St Pauls was like an island standing amid rubble. I
        still have some of those old black and white snaps. So, the blitz only
        lasted one night did it? Funny then that all my relations lived there
        and they all said it lasted seventy days and nights; and that we got
        bombed out on the second night. :- )) Maybe we did not get bombed out
        at all, maybe I and my kin don't exist. Perhaps the island of
        Britain was an hallucination. Goring was after all a Morphine addict.
        Perhaps Hitler too hallucinated a tiny island which he could not beat.
        Night night Grim William, sweet dreams.

        rwr