Plugging in from cosmology

  • William
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2012
      The day before Fareed gave his optimistic asessment of the changing wotld , Steven Hawkins presented a three hour series that was a milestone. I have read Hawkins books and thought he was strange and so badly handicapped as to make little impact. I was wrong. The producer took away the creepy machine voice and put a professional announcer in charge of the Audio. The visual effects were on subject but the breath of th content was the great suprise.
      When Hawkins started with a section on Renee Descartes I knew he was not going to just deal with cosmology. He bagan with philosophy and explained the deep rational in "I think, therefore I am". Hawkins took time to distinguish animal intelligence from rational thinking. He talked about evolution and "The origin of species" and how Darwin changed the world. He was outlining the ascent of western thought and explained how Copernicus and Galalleo and then Newton,with his theory of gravity and Maxwell ,with his theory of electromagnitism built up the body of science and disturbed the world of faith. Next he came to Eienstein and used new examples of general and special relativity to usher in the atomic age.
      Hawkins said he did not get to meet Eienstein but thought him the most remarkable thinker in history. Then Hawkins split into the the discrepancy between the physics of the very large and very small matter.
      Then he went right at the big bang and he explained it in a very lucid manner. He went to lengths to show there was nothing before the big bang . He dates it at 13.7 billion years ago .At that point he introduced Quarks and for the first time made string theory understood by me. Strings preceed quarks and the resonance of the string dictates how the quark will exist. He explained how different universes could exist simultaneously but would never contact each other. He then explained how dark matter was needed to balance positive matter and the two entities exist particle for particle. It was a tour de force of modern science but then he went where he had not gone before. He spoke of theistic and atheistic theories. Eienstien dodged this subject but Hawkins took it head on. He explained that science and modernism made god an impossiility. Theism just does not fit in the picture and Hawkins finally made the statement without reserve.
      This man is the highest intellect to take the ideas of Descartes and Fn and wed them to modern physics and cosmology. I have even greater confidence I am in the right camp,headed in the better direction. Bill
    • Susan Schnelbach
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2012
        Brian Greene also writes some great, easy-to-understand explanations of string theory and multiverse theory.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13, 2012
          Susan, Thank you for the source. I am out hunting members for this group as Dick is interesting but usually off topic. I am happy to see that implicitly you see the connection between existentialism and modern cosmology. I guess we will not get anything from CERN as the politics of France,Switzerland and Rome will be satisfied before peons like me will learn anything about the progress of the Higgs Boson hunt. After years of interest and study the current cosmology , as proposed in the Hawkins presentations, Is safe from all but the crackpot factions. The religions will fight the completions of the main equations as it will spell the doom of their outmoded cosmology, morality,power and money. They know it is a house of cards but they will obfuscate, procrastinate and lie as long as they can. You must wonder why I keep writing here and it is because I can still lose the fight for existantialism. It is the only path back to working philosophy. Where would Dick take it? Where would the left wing politicos take it. Where would the bishops take it. Those are not the resting places I want for a great philosophy. Bill