Within a zone

  • William
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2012
      Dick relates going deeper and deeper into a place that came from his psyche. I am going to relate going deeper and deeper into a place outside myself, the deep ocean. I make no claim they are ,at all, the same. I write this from point of contrast.
      We began as three divers and a tender. The expert was a salvage diver from the north sea and the Army recruit and I were novices off the coast of Hispanola. The topology was baffling as twenty feet of water dropped off at 30 degrees to over 900 feet. After about forty feet the young girl had had enough and the instructor took her back to the surface. Then we started down the slope. At neutral boyancy you do not feel up or down . Your body swimming parallel to the bottom feels horizontal. . When you can no longer see the surface the illusion becomes complete. At sixty feet we stopped for a saftey check and we both were doing fine with ample air and clear heads. We checked our guages and gave the ok signals. Then down, down again.
      It was a white sand surface and the light seemed to stay. I began to notice the pressure as my face plate was smashed against my nose. I also knew I was beginning to suffer nitrogen narcosis as I had mad ideas of pulling off my mask and mouthpiece. The feeling is much the same as the euphoria of nitrous oxide analgesia and can be controlled. We stopped two more times and by now in less light the bottom seemed completely flat to me. The leader decided we would go back but I must admit I would have had no idea which way to go. I could have just have well have gone down the abyismal to 900 feet. Before the ascent the leader pegged his depth meter and we went up with several stops. I had a deep tiredness at the surface and had all I could to get on the boat. I dropped my equiptment and ask how deep? He responded 63. I said 63 feet and he roared ,63 METERS. It was his secound deepest dive and certainly my most deep. It was going into a world of deep illogic and returning an enlightned participant. I`ll never forget it. Bill