Sleep on the London Underground?

  • merlinofexmoor
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2012
      Sleep on the London Underground?

      [ Did you ever sleep on the London Underground Railway satiations during
      the war Richard? They use such pictures all the time don't they. ]

      No, never once did I, nor anybody I ever knew, ever sleep on the London
      Under Ground during the war. We slept in our beds. But plainly some did
      if there was one nearby. There were NO underground railways stations in
      Tottenham during the war or for a long time after it. The two nearest
      ones were at Wood Green and Manor House. But they do have a couple now.
      One on the corner of Seven Sisters Road and Tottenham High Road and
      another at Tottenham Hale where we were bombed out in 1940.

      But I did spend a lot of time on the Underground Trains when I was a
      boy, for you could explore London that way for nothing. It was so easy
      to bunk on and off the trains at all the stations. Same as going to the
      pictures, one kid paid to go in and then he would undo the fire exist
      door and about twenty of us would go in :- ))) Also the great London
      smog's were very useful for disappearing quick when having been up
      to no good :- ))) Man, it was a wonderful and exciting childhood. Would
      not have missed it. But, if you got bombed out and killed in your bed
      then can you think of a better place for dying in ? :- ))) I did not
      see it but I heard about one guy in bed asleep after the whole of one
      side of the house had been blown away. He slept though the lot of it.
      When he woke up there were dozens of people watching him from the street
      – TYPICAL :- ))) All that mattered was that the pubs and the
      breweries did not get hit.

      Dick