Re: Necism

  • Charles Vermont
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2000
      I agree with you Justin (JC), and so I believe would Descartes. After all, he was the one who first worked out that he could know nothing for sure except that he was thinking - hence Cogito Ergo Sum, I think therefore I am. And even his 'certain' knowledge that he was thinking was, in effect, tautological, since he was simply defining what he was doing as 'thinking'.

      Then he made an assumption: if he could discover the rational principles on which the world worked then he could 'know' something else about the world. Natural scientists have been very good at doing this, except that they keep on shifting their views as other members of the list have pointed out. What's more, if I choose to look on the world as an essentially chaotic system, there is every chance that the 'rules' that apply today may change some time in the future (or just look at black holes - I believe even physicists say that the 'normal' rules of physics break down in them).

      Therefore I also believe that there are no facts, only perceptions.

      Charles Vermont
      london.uk