This Above All?

  • merlinofexmoor
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2012
      This Above All?

      [ "This above all; to thine own self be true". I think you
      would agree with this. ]

      What does it mean? What did the author have in mind when he wrote the
      play? Did the author know his self? In order to be true to one's
      self above all else then one first has to know what the self is. Did
      he? If no then can one then be true to that which one does not even
      know? Pretty sayings may sound important and profound to some, but
      sounding such does not make it so. Unless words have some known meaning
      then you are painting a lily with them.

      No, I do not agree with it at all. For when one knows one's self
      then it is not the self which is held important above all else. In
      existence there are two things: Your Self, and all that which is not
      your self. The Observer and the Observed. The self does not make
      existence worth existing; it is among the stuff which is not yourself
      which are found the things which make existing worth existing. Those who
      do know their self would know this from the start of BEING. I AM is not
      for me. I alone could no more make life worth living than my eyes could
      see themselves. Clever sounding words do not make a truism. LIVE and
      LEARN !!!! When life has quit you then you can quit learning. But only
      then. Unto the end brother !

      Dick Richardson