Marcus Aurelius

  • William
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2012
      I have been reading and rewatching the topic concerning this Roman emperior. There are some interesting similarities between those ancient times and the present. Marcus died of the plague after having conquered the germanic tribes. The US now is poised to end its middle east wars and return to domestic business. Marcus was a man of thought as is Obama. Now I certainly do not want Obama to die of plague but a professorial president could reshape Americas modernist traditions and reign in the corrupt, right wing congress. The right wing aristocracy is trying to use its wealth to destroy liberalisation of American society but the young and middle class have a leader and a cause worth fighting for.
      Expansionist wars ,sponsered by the military industrial complex are widely unpopular. So are right wing attempts to kill Roosevelts New Deal. With Europe poised to lurch to the right in rejection of the big hair cut those overspent societies are experiencing, a liberal USA could be the counter balance necessary to bring world economy back into equity. We need a Marcus to lead from a philosophic pedistal and then we can build him in marble for the edification of our common people. The greed ridden Rommney and his right wing agenda can be defeated and a return to the republic as Marcus envisioned in ancient Rome can be accomplished. This is modernism Vs traditionalism, democracy Vs autocracy and the common man Vs the elitist patricians. I side with the philosopher statesman Marcus Aurelius. Bill