Sold it off?

  • merlinofexmoor
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2012
      Sold it off?

      [ I see that the local council have sold off large tracts of the land on
      the Quantocks around the Great Wood area despite so many thousands of
      votes against doing so; your prediction seems to be coming true sooner
      rather than later. There is no holding back commerce and profit making.
      ]

      These little elected officials are not the height of human intelligence,
      caring, and foresight are they. In this event however, they have sold it
      to The Forestry Commission, who are one of the largest land owners in
      the country; along with the National Trust. So, it could be worse. By
      and large they do a good job, and their days of planting conifers (for
      quick timber) are gone, they do at least plant mixed forests now, and
      the public is allowed to roam their lands. We do need more forests, not
      less. Indeed, vast tracts of the Exmoor National Park forests are owned
      by the Forestry Commission. In fact virtually the whole of the National
      Park is in private hands; but one can roam so much of it and picnic in
      the dells.

      So, this is not the big problem as is selling off land to speculators
      for a quick profit and filling the place with little boxes which they
      call homes, and supermarkets etc and depriving people of the most
      beautiful parts of the country for a quick short term buck. Humanity
      still needs beauty and relaxation. Nowhere better can this contrast be
      seen as in the places of equal beauty which surround the National Parks
      but which remained outside of them, and where planning permission for
      virtually any monstrosity is so easy. National Parks and preservation
      have only existed here since just after WW2 but needed now more than
      ever because of rampant immigration and population explosion. Yet where
      do all these big fat cats live? In all the best places sir. They hog
      it all, and they don't even pay taxes. The rich get richer and own
      most and the poor get poorer and own less and less. Hardly a new world
      order is it. Wonder if there are any lizards out there who want to buy
      a planet? Sick INSANE society of retards! REVOLUTION !

      But yes, my old thirty mile bike route is still there thanks, (not that
      I can cycle it now tis steep :- ) and still the same as it was, as yet
      anyway. So are the three pubs on route – but not as good as they
      once were. Fortunately life is not about owning things, and nothing owns
      anything. But these retarded dimwits like to don't they. They would
      sell their granny for a buck and their dignity down the drain for
      nothing. But maybe that is as much as their cup can hold as yet.

      Dick Richardson

    • William
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 11, 2012
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "merlinofexmoor" <merlinofexmoor@...> wrote:

        > Sold it off?
        >
        > [ I see that the local council have sold off large tracts of the land on
        > the Quantocks around the Great Wood area despite so many thousands of
        > votes against doing so; your prediction seems to be coming true sooner
        > rather than later. There is no holding back commerce and profit making.
        > ]
        >
        > These little elected officials are not the height of human intelligence,
        > caring, and foresight are they. In this event however, they have sold it
        > to The Forestry Commission, who are one of the largest land owners in
        > the country; along with the National Trust. So, it could be worse. By
        > and large they do a good job, and their days of planting conifers (for
        > quick timber) are gone, they do at least plant mixed forests now, and
        > the public is allowed to roam their lands. We do need more forests, not
        > less. Indeed, vast tracts of the Exmoor National Park forests are owned
        > by the Forestry Commission. In fact virtually the whole of the National
        > Park is in private hands; but one can roam so much of it and picnic in
        > the dells.
        >
        > So, this is not the big problem as is selling off land to speculators
        > for a quick profit and filling the place with little boxes which they
        > call homes, and supermarkets etc and depriving people of the most
        > beautiful parts of the country for a quick short term buck. Humanity
        > still needs beauty and relaxation. Nowhere better can this contrast be
        > seen as in the places of equal beauty which surround the National Parks
        > but which remained outside of them, and where planning permission for
        > virtually any monstrosity is so easy. National Parks and preservation
        > have only existed here since just after WW2 but needed now more than
        > ever because of rampant immigration and population explosion. Yet where
        > do all these big fat cats live? In all the best places sir. They hog
        > it all, and they don't even pay taxes. The rich get richer and own
        > most and the poor get poorer and own less and less. Hardly a new world
        > order is it. Wonder if there are any lizards out there who want to buy
        > a planet? Sick INSANE society of retards! REVOLUTION !
        >
        > But yes, my old thirty mile bike route is still there thanks, (not that
        > I can cycle it now tis steep :- ) and still the same as it was, as yet
        > anyway. So are the three pubs on route – but not as good as they
        > once were. Fortunately life is not about owning things, and nothing owns
        > anything. But these retarded dimwits like to don't they. They would
        > sell their granny for a buck and their dignity down the drain for
        > nothing. But maybe that is as much as their cup can hold as yet.
        >
        > Dick Richardson
        > Dick, you have repeatedly said you enjoy political discussion but rarely engage in such. This post is political and well written.
        I have personally pidgeon holed you as a conservative but this post would seem to show a crack in your conservative armour.
        From the earliest derevation of conservative, one who wishes to retain the good things of the past, you certainly get an A. As you know I have taken a look at your part of England and also find it beautiful and unique. Now I do not say that about Iowa as it is a huge area of row crops with geography both boring and repetative. I too have conservative traits and do not like my boring state and would rather see it go back to its wild roots. That will never happen as the money men make billions from the horrendous landscape that feeds billions.
        Your conservatism is split between business conservatism and deep rooted natural conservatism. I applaude your natural conservatism and agree with your opposition to endless and useless growth. The only reason the strip malls and endless urban sprawl is curtailed here is that the AG money is bigger than the development money in this area. I am against both the sprawl and the the environmentally lethal AG.
        In this matter we are both conservatives of the first order. I detest the kind of progress that shits out billions of low order robots who end up in cubicles doing no content work. I do not want to see them swarm over the natural landscape as it is deplorable what is left as has happned in IOWA. The slimey business interests are very hard to stop and speaking out against them is branded unpatriotic. I`m not unpatriotic in agreeing with you. I am being arch conservative. WRH