Re: [existlist] Trends and blends

  • James hamilton
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2012
      On Apr 7, 2012, at 3:34 PM, William wrote:

      >felix, Seven years of studying a dead language gave me appreciatiom for suffex and prefex. As a word existentialism is a mess. Like you I have had little understanding derived from the word so I rarely use it . I have found it necessary to contemplate the main tenants of the philosophy in order to unravel the word. It should be in the converse as the name should convey the meaning. Now whoever named this site had a certain poetic bent as existlist might be considered to rhyme. If you try to use it in a sentance it will twist your tongue but depart no more meaning than existentialism.
      In usage ,over time I have come to consider existentialism as the body of literature written by the authors I mentioned earlier . It is broad, perhaps too wide to be considered a movement . It hangs togeather better than post modernism which desentegrated into its own deconstructionist ashes. The only thing that remains of it is correctness which is a horrible misnomer for a stupid politeness.
      Now modernism is the actuation of those initial principles and exists more as commentary rather than doctrine. It is by nature contempoary and topical. So, perhaps we will talk sense with concrete language. I do not tweet,twat or tongue, it is an age thing. But I can still write and that makes me happy. I will use my screen name , Grimm. Felix and Grimm, it has a ring.

      ****

      I do not tweet or twat... but am Grimm.... lol

      It took me forever to read Sartre's English translation of Being and Nothingness. For the most part I only read it after going to bed at night, and just prior to sleep. Many nights I had to read out loud in order to stay awake long enough to impress myself I was really trying to understand what was otherwise Greek to me. I liked the translator's choice of words in general. I got nothing but English as my only language. It was like trying to figure out how smart somebody is when they're smarter than me, and being limited by my own lack of reach. I had to get off by myself and contemplate what Sartre might have told me if we had happened to have a bottle of wine (or two) together. Maybe then I could imitate his intent well enow to grok it.