Trends and blends

  • William
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2012
      Ah, "good friday" a yearly treat for the truly twisted religous. We were forced to attend a celebration of a viscous and bloody execution. I never went to that horror show unless forced. In contrast Conneticut is debating the abolution of the death penalty. Gee it only took them 2000 years.
      In another suprise the transportation bureau says fewer young people are getting a drivers license. In areas where there is high internet use driving is down. People do not require face to face involvement, they do it on line. A significant number of twenty year olds do not have drivers license. Over all that is probably of survival value. Driving is by far the most dangerous thing we do. If you do stupid things like talk on the phone or text it is nearly suicidial. So just say no to driving. That does not appeal to me but it is a trend.
      Yahoo seems doomed to follow its younger competition and I would not be suprised if this sort of communication will be terminated.With the low participation it seems there will be an end to posting and reading. I feel it is a good exercise but it seems few do. Existentialism is by now ground into modern culture. It is bound into many facits of modern life. Consumerism, survivalism, and individualism are homes for ideas that sprang from existentialism. Faith a real enemy of atheism is on the retreat and I do not think anyone has to beat a drumb to keep that trend on the increase. Now the existentialism is absorbed in the culture and many people get incensed when denied existential rights. The fact that we are not a discernable group makes the other side have a problem with retaliation. So if exposition groups such as this are on the way out I doubt there will be any damage. If you just do the smarter thing you will remain a modernist. Bill
    • felixmanos
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2012

        > Ah, "good friday" a yearly treat for the truly twisted religous. We were forced to attend a celebration of a viscous and bloody execution. I never went to that horror show unless forced. In contrast Conneticut is debating the abolution of the death penalty. Gee it only took them 2000 years.
        > In another suprise the transportation bureau says fewer young people are getting a drivers license. In areas where there is high internet use driving is down. People do not require face to face involvement, they do it on line. A significant number of twenty year olds do not have drivers license. Over all that is probably of survival value. Driving is by far the most dangerous thing we do. If you do stupid things like talk on the phone or text it is nearly suicidial. So just say no to driving. That does not appeal to me but it is a trend.
        > Yahoo seems doomed to follow its younger competition and I would not be suprised if this sort of communication will be terminated.With the low participation it seems there will be an end to posting and reading. I feel it is a good exercise but it seems few do. Existentialism is by now ground into modern culture. It is bound into many facits of modern life. Consumerism, survivalism, and individualism are homes for ideas that sprang from existentialism. Faith a real enemy of atheism is on the retreat and I do not think anyone has to beat a drumb to keep that trend on the increase. Now the existentialism is absorbed in the culture and many people get incensed when denied existential rights. The fact that we are not a discernable group makes the other side have a problem with retaliation. So if exposition groups such as this are on the way out I doubt there will be any damage. If you just do the smarter thing you will remain a modernist. Bill

        Hi Bill,

        I just subscribed after using the Search feature with the term 'existentialism", and this group popped up among the options.

        Presently, I'm posting to see if my membership has been accepted.

        felix
      • William
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2012
          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "felixmanos" <felix.peregrino@...> wrote:

          > > Ah, "good friday" a yearly treat for the truly twisted religous. We were forced to attend a celebration of a viscous and bloody execution. I never went to that horror show unless forced. In contrast Conneticut is debating the abolution of the death penalty. Gee it only took them 2000 years.
          > > In another suprise the transportation bureau says fewer young people are getting a drivers license. In areas where there is high internet use driving is down. People do not require face to face involvement, they do it on line. A significant number of twenty year olds do not have drivers license. Over all that is probably of survival value. Driving is by far the most dangerous thing we do. If you do stupid things like talk on the phone or text it is nearly suicidial. So just say no to driving. That does not appeal to me but it is a trend.
          > > Yahoo seems doomed to follow its younger competition and I would not be suprised if this sort of communication will be terminated.With the low participation it seems there will be an end to posting and reading. I feel it is a good exercise but it seems few do. Existentialism is by now ground into modern culture. It is bound into many facits of modern life. Consumerism, survivalism, and individualism are homes for ideas that sprang from existentialism. Faith a real enemy of atheism is on the retreat and I do not think anyone has to beat a drumb to keep that trend on the increase. Now the existentialism is absorbed in the culture and many people get incensed when denied existential rights. The fact that we are not a discernable group makes the other side have a problem with retaliation. So if exposition groups such as this are on the way out I doubt there will be any damage. If you just do the smarter thing you will remain a modernist. Bill
          > >

          > Hi Bill,
          >
          > I just subscribed after using the Search feature with the term 'existentialism", and this group popped up among the options.
          >
          > Presently, I'm posting to see if my membership has been accepted.
          >
          > felix

          Felix, It seems you are "in" the group, a warm welcome to you!I have been in the group for better than five years and have become the last of the Mohicans. For a time it was fasionable to fight and squabble with a king of the hill mentality. I would propose that we, as the surviving duo, renounce that sort of wrangling and discuss existential matters without rancor. For me there are sharp memories of past clashes but I will try to renounce past behavours and write with clarity and respect in the future.
          Who are your favorite existentialists and why do you like them? that sounds sophmoric but we need some background if we are to discuss the philosophy. My existential cast began with Doestoiesky, Husseryl, FN, Sartre and Camus. I find the term existentialism less precise than modernism, I rarely refer to myself as an existentialist.
          I look forward to writing and listening to you. If we are sucssful I know others will join us. Bill
        • James hamilton
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7, 2012
            On Apr 7, 2012, at 12:58 PM, William wrote:

[...]

            **********

            Just the two of us? Great, I've been looking for exclusivity most of my life.

            I like words. I like discovering the Joe Sixpack sense of woids by hyphenating anything I can, in order to see if the reconstruction of the pieces shape the me-and-thee-ing (meaning) of what's wot? '-)

            I like the term 'exist'. I treat it irreverently. Why would I not? "ex" sorta means something from the past to me or literally something that once was, but maybe, no mas... eh? It makes even more sense to me when it transmutes to 'existence (ex-is-tense)'. A friend told me he thought I was an existentialist and browbeat me into reading Being and Nothingness. I still have no idea what he meant by saying that by ex-is-ting that I live in the past. I still don't actually know (to my own satisfaction) what an existentialist is.

            If my individuation depends on re-cog-nizing my Self, however, it seems prudent that I figure existentialism out for the sake of my Self. Walking around without knowing my true identity could get teejous.

            ^^
            Speech is mind. Mind is speech.

            felix

          • William
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7, 2012
              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, James hamilton <felix.peregrino@...> wrote:

              > On Apr 7, 2012, at 12:58 PM, William wrote:
              >
              > Felix, It seems you are "in" the group, a warm welcome to you!I have been in the group for better than five years and have become the last of the Mohicans. For a time it was fasionable to fight and squabble with a king of the hill mentality. I would propose that we, as the surviving duo, renounce that sort of wrangling and discuss existential matters without rancor. For me there are sharp memories of past clashes but I will try to renounce past behavours and write with clarity and respect in the future.
              > Who are your favorite existentialists and why do you like them? that sounds sophmoric but we need some background if we are to discuss the philosophy. My existential cast began with Doestoiesky, Husseryl, FN, Sartre and Camus. I find the term existentialism less precise than modernism, I rarely refer to myself as an existentialist.
              > I look forward to writing and listening to you. If we are sucssful I know others will join us. Bill
              >
              > **********
              >
              > Just the two of us? Great, I've been looking for exclusivity most of my life.
              >
              > I like words. I like discovering the Joe Sixpack sense of woids by hyphenating anything I can, in order to see if the reconstruction of the pieces shape the me-and-thee-ing (meaning) of what's wot? '-)
              >
              > I like the term 'exist'. I treat it irreverently. Why would I not? "ex" sorta means something from the past to me or literally something that once was, but maybe, no mas... eh? It makes even more sense to me when it transmutes to 'existence (ex-is-tense)'. A friend told me he thought I was an existentialist and browbeat me into reading Being and Nothingness. I still have no idea what he meant by saying that by ex-is-ting that I live in the past. I still don't actually know (to my own satisfaction) what an existentialist is.
              >
              > If my individuation depends on re-cog-nizing my Self, however, it seems prudent that I figure existentialism out for the sake of my Self. Walking around without knowing my true identity could get teejous.
              >
              > ^^
              > Speech is mind. Mind is speech.
              >
              > felix
              >felix, Seven years of studying a dead language gave me appreciatiom for suffex and prefex. As a word existentialism is a mess. Like you I have had little understanding derived from the word so I rarely use it . I have found it necessary to contemplate the main tenants of the philosophy in order to unravel the word. It should be in the converse as the name should convey the meaning. Now whoever named this site had a certain poetic bent as existlist might be considered to rhyme. If you try to use it in a sentance it will twist your tongue but depart no more meaning than existentialism.
              In usage ,over time I have come to consider existentialism as the body of literature written by the authors I mentioned earlier . It is broad, perhaps too wide to be considered a movement . It hangs togeather better than post modernism which desentegrated into its own deconstructionist ashes. The only thing that remains of it is correctness which is a horrible misnomer for a stupid politeness.
              Now modernism is the actuation of those initial principles and exists more as commentary rather than doctrine. It is by nature contempoary and topical. So, perhaps we will talk sense with concrete language. I do not tweet,twat or tongue, it is an age thing. But I can still write and that makes me happy. I will use my screen name , Grimm. Felix and Grimm, it has a ring.

            • James hamilton
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7, 2012
                On Apr 7, 2012, at 3:34 PM, William wrote:

                >felix, Seven years of studying a dead language gave me appreciatiom for suffex and prefex. As a word existentialism is a mess. Like you I have had little understanding derived from the word so I rarely use it . I have found it necessary to contemplate the main tenants of the philosophy in order to unravel the word. It should be in the converse as the name should convey the meaning. Now whoever named this site had a certain poetic bent as existlist might be considered to rhyme. If you try to use it in a sentance it will twist your tongue but depart no more meaning than existentialism.
                In usage ,over time I have come to consider existentialism as the body of literature written by the authors I mentioned earlier . It is broad, perhaps too wide to be considered a movement . It hangs togeather better than post modernism which desentegrated into its own deconstructionist ashes. The only thing that remains of it is correctness which is a horrible misnomer for a stupid politeness.
                Now modernism is the actuation of those initial principles and exists more as commentary rather than doctrine. It is by nature contempoary and topical. So, perhaps we will talk sense with concrete language. I do not tweet,twat or tongue, it is an age thing. But I can still write and that makes me happy. I will use my screen name , Grimm. Felix and Grimm, it has a ring.

                ****

                I do not tweet or twat... but am Grimm.... lol

                It took me forever to read Sartre's English translation of Being and Nothingness. For the most part I only read it after going to bed at night, and just prior to sleep. Many nights I had to read out loud in order to stay awake long enough to impress myself I was really trying to understand what was otherwise Greek to me. I liked the translator's choice of words in general. I got nothing but English as my only language. It was like trying to figure out how smart somebody is when they're smarter than me, and being limited by my own lack of reach. I had to get off by myself and contemplate what Sartre might have told me if we had happened to have a bottle of wine (or two) together. Maybe then I could imitate his intent well enow to grok it.