The Coming and Going of Civilisations?

  • merlinofexmoor
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2012
      The Coming and Going of Civilisations?

      [ The coming and going of civilisations does not seem to bother or
      interest you Richard, is this so? ]

      How many empires and civilisations have come and gone even in the short
      time that humans have been on this globe? Where would human beings here
      now be if they had not gone? The evidence is all below your feet and
      there for all to see. We also know well enough that at least some of
      those civilisations brought about their own downfall by their
      activities. Some by way of other civilisations taking them out. Some by
      disease and some by climactic conditions, all kinds of reasons. But come
      they did and go they did. But the sum of all that put together has not
      been the end of life here has it. The planet has never been so crowded
      as it is now. Added to which species come and go. We know well enough by
      now that stars come and go, and so would any planets in tow with them.
      Going is as natural as is coming. So why should it worry me?

      If, on the other hand, a civilisation got far enough to be able to leave
      the rock which was their home base, and let us write IF, then to be able
      to exist on movable space stations might well allow the potential to get
      out of the way of physical forces and or radiations which would destroy
      them - then what then? But I doubt that such civilisations would still
      be making sacrifices to the gods and other such retarded mumbo-jumbo
      – and which plainly DO go the way of the Dodo – it is all there
      under your feet to see. But even forgetting all that, if life such as we
      know it can pop up here then so too can it pop up on any such globe in
      the physical universe. Am I going to lament the demise of Homo Erectus?
      No. Would you want to live a life such that they had to? No, you would
      not. The way is forward not backwards. BEING and BECOMING !

      I am not something which HAS life. I AM LIFE and I am subject to coming
      and going. I am a part of the whole and the observer of the observed and
      the partaker in Time and in Eternity. I have seen it and been there.
      Chew the bones out of it, or find it yourself. Do I lament the demise of
      London of the fifteenth century? Not bloody likely. Will I lament the
      demise if this London and today's way of life? NO WAY ! Such views
      are so parochial that they are laughable. But fine, I am here now, and
      things could be a lot worse, so grab the day – and prepare for
      tomorrow and build it yourself. A spot and location in time cannot hold
      me. Know what you are. Isn't that even the first bloody question
      that a child asks – WHAT AM I??? I did. And I found out. I
      don't need any sod to tell me. This or that civilisation?
      Ppphhhttt:> !

      Dick Richardson

    • William
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2012
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "merlinofexmoor" <merlinofexmoor@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > don't need any sod to tell me. This or that civilisation?
        > Ppphhhttt:> !
        >
        > Dick Richardson
        > Dick, Remember when we were told that we would visit all the planets in our life times. The vastness of the universe has curtailed that dream. Venus is a hot caustic hell but we did not know that . Mars is pure desolation and still we have not been able to go there. Some of the far flung planets in other solar systems seem able to support life but we have no vessel to get there. We are stuck, here and awaiting evolution to provide a more space viable species seems an endless wait. Our problem is we are terrestrial and terrestrial is a narrow nitche. NASA puts on the brave face but has all but given up on manned space travel. So humans are born and die here and we just have to live with that.
        Now as to Home Erectus I hope they were happy in their tenure here. They had the simple life and unlimited horisons. They had good,strong bodies and minds cued for hunting and gathering. That they might be eaten seems horrible but then again they did not lay around for years with IV`s stuck in their veins. Their philosophy would seem to be one of wonder and their wars short and simple. With all that in mind perhaps we should be going back to where we had new horisons and wonder. Grimm

      • merlinofexmoor
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24, 2012
          In Xanadu did Kublai Khan
          A stately Pleasure-Dome decree,