Why do poets write?

  • merlinofexmoor
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2012
      Why do poets write?

      [ You said that the first things you ever wrote were the poems. Why do
      poets write? ]

      They were not the first things I ever wrote; and they were not written
      for public view. I said that I wrote them before writing the books, and
      some of poems were incorporated into some of the books. The reason I
      wrote books was because of the poems. They escaped from the draw and
      instigated a wave which went far and wide; and explanation in prose was
      demanded by virtue of which; much to my surprise and shock. And if
      poems don't rhyme then they are prose.

      Why do poets write? For the same reason that a river runs downhill and
      that people go to the toilet. The line of least resistance. And after
      which you can get on with something else and more important. Poetry is
      not written for fun or because one wants to. It is like giving birth and
      probably just as painful. But it is about the thing which they are
      pregnant with. The wind does not blow, for the blowing IS the wind. And
      don't ask who you are, for there is no answer to that. Ask what you
      are, there is an answer to that.

      rwr