Pruning Trees and Human Beings

  • merlinofexmoor
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2012
      Pruning Trees and Human Beings

      A few weeks ago I mentioned that for the first time ever we had a guy
      come around to prune the apple trees in the garden, for I cannot cope
      with it now. Hitherto, and no matter where we have lived, I have always
      done that job myself, and even though I am no gardener, I always went
      gently on the trees. But when I saw what this bloke did I nearly passed
      out – he had devastated them. Cut them right back to the bare bones
      of the thickest branches. WOW ! I will not be sitting on the grass
      under a mass of apple blossom this year. Yet to sit in the sun for a
      while under a vast mass of pink and white apple blossom and with the
      daffs still out, is one of my favourite things. But he did say that they
      would be better than ever before long and that it will do them good. I
      see there are new bits of growth coming put now. NEW GROWTH !

      As I sat there today in the sun with the dog however I had to smile for
      it reminded me of total and utter Annihilation at the end of the
      journeyhome across the Styx which I made when I was young, and as to
      how that finished up back in the beginning in the eternal paradisiacal
      Ground of Being from whence we all come. HOME. But never, in all these
      years, have I ever thought of the analogy with that of pruning a blossom
      tree. But I have now. And my word, how we are pruned back that day !
      Right back to square one when everything else has gone. But for the
      next fifty years (back here) I watched the NEW GROWTH as it came and
      progressed;Homo Ensophicus unfolding and evolving. Yee gads it is
      profound beyond measure. There is a time for sowing, and a time for
      reaping, and a time for PRUNING and a time for NEW GROWTH. Tis killing
      me softly with its song ! Do not look to dead mystics for they cannot
      do what living ones can do.

      You lucky people.

      Dick Richardson