Checking in on gridlock

  • William
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2012
      It is a time to fall back on old topics and modes of thought. Progressive minds can plan for better days but for day to day activity just doing the old things well is sufficient. The big things, the things government needs to be involved in are frozen. The obstructionist right has seen to that and it could go on this way. The essence of conversatism is to slow things down. Conservatives think they can make things go in reverse. They love gridlock as nothing changes.
      Now a modernist does not think things can be static. Managed change is not only important is is the only way to survival. The health care bill and Dodd ,Frank have wounded the conservative cause and it is working. Unregulated capitalism is partially checked but there is much left to be done in banking and insurance. They are corrupt and need further regulation. We are given the right wing story over and over with the republican primaries. I am sick of their bigoted tirades and ignore much of the news relating to their positions.
      The world scene is essentially static. It will take decades for progress in the middle east as primative peoples have little power for progress. That Syrians are killing Syrians may be morally unpleasing does not change the dictum that when enemies fight there is room for joy. Israel and Saudi will make sure the rebels get weapons and Assad will eventually fall. The media need grist and greatly exaggerate the importance of small dictatorships to sell copy. It is said that twenty three cents of the run up in crude prices is driven by rumor . There is plenty of oil and food supplies are stable. Transportation and commerce are stable and war is present but not international. I think less concern and more appreciation are in order. So I will read the papers with skepticism as to importance and try to not overspend. The sick parts of the world can be ignored until it is finally time to vote. I just signed my voter registration card and will be in line to do what I can to move things forward. WRH