Back to Forbes

  • William
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 22, 2012
      The Forbes article I mentioned recently had its author on CNN. The author was commenting on Obamas proposed reduction of the corporate tax to 28% . The CNN comenator Brook Baldwin quoted actual rates paid by four industries and they came in at around 18%. The Forbes guy asked where she got her figures and she quoted an unknown source of dubious validity. But she had a number and he had a number and neither number had validity because they were unsupportable as free standing facts. The Forbes author went on to castigate the republicans for refusing to debate economics and return to social issues. Now as a money man the Forbes guy feels abandoned by his usual ally and feels ill at ease with Obama and his democrats. Obama wants a shot at big oil and wants to cut their loophole deductions. The oil companies tax payments were even with other US corporations.
      Now why does this relate to existentialism? It relates to the veracity of sources. It was obvious that Brook baldwin had no idea who her source was. She got it from her research staff. The Forbes guy did not know her source because it was not his research staff. The only protection in such situations is a skepticism on a par with a writer like Husseryl or Neitche. Proprietory sources are useless in bottom line arguments as the numberd are back written to support a preordained position. This even bothered the jaded Forbes author. So a philosophical dedication to clear truth puts the careful modernist with a veracity advantage over the more dogmatic opposition.
      So the politics is wildly slanted to red herring social issues, Santorum says the US is under attack by satan. The numbers are purposly muddied by all sides and only a clarity of purpose is universally ignored. Nothing will be done about tax rates until the election.It is time to read spread sheets of raw facts not political rhetoric or secound hand analysis. So I will not be watching the rep. debates, I will be reading pages of numbers that have a creditable base and see if I can get some idea where we really stand . It is boring but it might give me a reason to vote one way or another. WRH